We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day-trip or overnight stay?

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
165 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Day-trip or overnight stay?

I'll be coming to KL again next weekend for a few days, and since I haven't been to Melaka, I want to visit given the short distance. Is it worth staying one night, or it can be done getting a 10 am bus from Puduraya and catching the last bus at 8pm back to KL? That would give me about 7 hours in Melaka.

Thanks!

Melaka, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Melaka
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day-trip or overnight stay?

Hi Elias,

If you are going to Melaka on weekend, then, staying one night might be a better idea as the night market is worth a visit and the night view of Melaka from the revolving tower and riverside is what draws more and more tourists these days.

The town is compact and can be covered within hours if you don't stop in musuems (there are few good ones like Enthonology Musem, Baba Nyonya Museum and Cheng Ho Museum). Otherwise, you can enjoy the more leisurely pace of the town compared to KL, although the weekend tourists can be intimidating for some (but I think still nothing as crowded as Shanghai).

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
165 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day-trip or overnight stay?

Hi Alex,

Thank you! I'm thinking of coming this coming Sunday, but Monday at around 1 pm I have to be in Damansara Utama for an appointment. Is there a bus to PJ/Damansara from Melaka? I'd rather not go back to Puduraya and then back to Damansara.

Thanks for your posts on Melaka, very informative.

Melaka, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Melaka
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day-trip or overnight stay?

Hi EliasNYC,

There is no bus between PJ/Damansara and Melaka, only up to Klang.

You can get off at Hang Tuah Monorail (check with driver which other LRT stop is possible upon arriving at KL toll) and get to KL sentral. Only bus and taxi option to PJ/Damansara. Puduraya is a hell hole and can be avoided for arrival.

So, if possible, go to Melaka on Sunday Monday (8am if possible as it gets very hot in the afternoon to do sightseeing). Bus journey 2.5 hours on KKKL or transnational which are recommended. You can take the morning bus to get to KL by 12pm and get to PJ/Damansara for your meeting.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
165 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day-trip or overnight stay?

thanks Alex.

How do you avoid Puduraya though? I thought the buses depart from and arrive only there.

Melaka, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Melaka
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day-trip or overnight stay?

Hi Elias,

You have to depart from there, but you can get off before Puduraya if you tell the bus driver. Many people do that as buses tend to be stuck outside the station for hundreds of meters, so drivers often let people get off. Hang Tuah station is a good place to change to Monorail or take a cab.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
165 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day-trip or overnight stay?

Hi Alex,

I just came back from Malacca last night, I was only able to do a day trip since my time is limited and I have a business appointment in KL today. But I wanted to let you know that I can't wait to come back! Beautiful place, and you have everything there...historical sights, superb food, even great shopping! That Megamall and the one across the street are great.

I didn't go to the Tower but I thought the view from up at St. Paul's is amazing! I was also able to snap some gorgeous sunset pics from just outside the Holiday Inn by the Bali cafe, I'm sure you know the place I'm talking about.

I can see now why tourists from all over flock to Malacca, I'll be back soon and will stay a couple of nights...I noticed 2 hotels with great locations and views and I'll ask you your recommendation when the time comes, the Equatorial and the Mahkota hotel.

Btw, a tip here for people reading this, there are buses back to KL well after 8pm! I caught a 9pm bus and I think there were buses till 10pm.

Sydney
Level Contributor
424 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day-trip or overnight stay?

Thanks Elias for your day trip report on Melaka.... possibly be doing the same on Monday or Tuesday, and it seems you covered mostly what you wanted to ....

Iru

8. Re: Day-trip or overnight stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2010, 05:17