We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Year In Malacca

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
21 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
New Year In Malacca

Hi,

Me & My husband are planning a trip to Malacca for the new years (from the 31st to the 2nd). had a couple of questions:

1. any suggestions on what to do on the new years eve?

2. Also what are the best restaurants to eat there (i am a vegetarian though my husband eats non-veg)

3. anything in particular that we shouldn't miss doing there???

4. What is malacca famous for, interms of shopping?

Melaka, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Melaka
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Year In Malacca

Hi nanhey,

Jonker Walk is definitely the place to be at for 31dec evening. There will be small firework by bars and stage performance. Just watch out for the youngster running around with form spray and party kit.

For dinner, maybe you could check out Harper's restaurant and Tarangon both by the river. They should have some vegetarian options

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
21 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Year In Malacca

Thanks a lot Alex... I am pretty excited about Malacca... any particular bar/restaurant you'd recommend at Jonker Walk?

3. Re: New Year In Malacca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 December 2010, 08:37
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pangkor
Level Contributor
2,878 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Year In Malacca

hiya nanhey how u duin? alex mcca mentioned the silly string ... i got absolutley covered in the stuff in K.L which wasnt a proble ...the problem is when they add spray snow to it as well!! as the spray snow is wet when its sprayed on you but then that mixed with the silly string which is dyed!! when it gets wet the dye comes out the string on your clothes ...and i had a white top on!!, what you got to have is a sense of humour and not get worked up when your sprayed or...wear dark clothes or older clothes you dont mind getin wet, but saying that the colours did wash out, just remember have a good time on jonker walk, im back there late feb,

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
21 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Year In Malacca

oops.... now u are scaring me.... I just bought a new dress for new years eve, my sense of humour will not be very good if i am wearing that ;), i guess i'll have to stick to my jeans & a T. so i guess Jonker walk it is!

Thanks a Lot Turmericmelaka, will surely try & make it for one meal at least :)

Melaka, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Melaka
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Year In Malacca

Hi Nanhey,

The most happening place in Jonker Walk is around Geographer Cafe (in the middle of the walk) and the bar street along it. This is probably the main place where youngsters spray snow foam and party stuff. They also put some small firework here.

So you could go there to feel the ambiance and leave if the crowd is too wild (but never rowdy). Harpers and Tarangon have river view and adult crowd

Happy New Year

Mentioned in this post
Geographer Cafe
Geographer Cafe
1,516 Reviews
Melaka, Malaysia
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pangkor
Level Contributor
2,878 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Year In Malacca

hiya nanhey do no be scared !! , the atmospere is brilliant ,and every one is having a good time!!, id wear jeans and a top if i was you, but dont worry if they see your not happy they stop spraying, and go on to the next person!! haha!

it rearly is a laugh just go and enjoy!! happy new year x

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pangkor
Level Contributor
2,878 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Year In Malacca

hiya nanhey well its 1st january 2011, happy new year did you go to jonker strret for the new year?/ ??

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
21 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Year In Malacca

hey guys,

thanks a LOT!!!! Jonker was just AMAZING... had an awesome start to the new year, thanks for all your help

Neetu

BTW a very very happy & prosperous new year to you :)

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pangkor
Level Contributor
2,878 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Year In Malacca

hiy nanhey im glad you had a gud one!! what did you end up wearing??

did you see the silly string and snow??? xx