We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chinese New Year in Malacca

Singapore
Level Contributor
149 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Chinese New Year in Malacca

I will be reaching Malacca on Chinese New Year's Eve till 2nd day of CNY. Where should I go to enjoy the atmosphere of CNY at Malacca? Jonker street? I believe 1st day of CNY most shops all close especially Jonker street, so i intend to go around sightseeing and shopping at Mahkota area. Is the shopping centre and food centre open on 1st day & 2nd day of CNY?

Thank you.

Melaka, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Melaka
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chinese New Year in Malacca

Hi,

This reply is for anyone who is visiting Malacca during chinese new year (3-4Feb are the first two days of CNY).

Dataran Pahlawan and Mahkota Parade will be open during chinese new year but small shops especially those not selling food or drink will be close until second or thrid day of new year.

Jonker Walk will still be the place to be for new year eve as pubs and souvenir shops as well as eateries will open till late for count down. Cheng Hoon Teng temple will be packed with worshippers until next day morning.

I doubt jonker walk nigh bazaar will be open as CNY eve falls on Wednesday night. It will be business as usual on CNY weekend. Last year CNY eve fell on weekend and most stalls in Jonker Walk were open until 2am in the morning when we came out of pub.

Melaka is few of the Malaysian places you can still enjoy during chinese new year, along with KL and Penang where non chinese tourists will travel during the long weekend.

2. Re: Chinese New Year in Malacca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2011, 07:42