We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portugese settlement seafood restuarants

Which Melaka hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
SEA
Level Contributor
237 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Portugese settlement seafood restuarants

Hi there,

I wondering which is the best store to patronize at the Portugese settlement seafood restuarants?

What are the delicacies and must try food (crabs) at that place? the Mango juice is fantastic! How about which satay store is the best to go with?

Please advise me and Thank you very much.

Regards,

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Portugese settlement seafood restuarants

Stall #1 is usually the most popular perhaps because it has wider choice of menu. We however usually go to stall #4 simply because of the reverse, less crowded therefore we don't have to wait for seats. Dry spicy crab is my wife's favourite. I go for the baked fish (seabass/baramundi) Portuguese style. Clam ("lala" locally) with ginger and cilli is another favourite. Wash down with watermelon juice, refreshing. I think there's only one satay seller, near stall #1 but you could be at any other stall to order it.

Melaka, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Melaka
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Portugese settlement seafood restuarants

Hi

Store no 1 is the most popular as it is next to the grill store that sells many types of shellfish and satay. I think this is the only store selling satay. Mango juice is raw with sour plum but is good to wash down the grease from baked fish and striy fry.

It is best to go before 7pm to catch the sunset while waiting. After 7pm, the wait can be horrendous.

I used to love store no. 7 as there was a chinese cook which added some varieties to the otherwise spicy dishes. It has however gone down hill but still quite good.

Touts are quite persuasive but you can just go straight to the store you like or observe which stores are more popular usually for the good reason.

SEA
Level Contributor
237 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Portugese settlement seafood restuarants

Hi all,

Thank you very much for the tips and information. It looks like Store #1 is the preferred one, followed by #4 and #7. Do they open as early as 6pm?

Regards,

Melaka, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Melaka
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Portugese settlement seafood restuarants

Hi

Yes, the stores are open around 6pm.

SEA
Level Contributor
237 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Portugese settlement seafood restuarants

Hi there,

I'm just wondering whether there is a good Portugese seafood restaurant, which I can dine in comfort with air-con apart from the outdoor one.

By the way, what is the hotel name that is just next to the Portugese settlement seafood restaurants area?

Regards,

Melaka, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Melaka
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Portugese settlement seafood restuarants

Hi

The hotel next to the Portuguese Square is called Hotel Lisbon which is a governed funded hotel which in Malaysia are often poorly managed.

In Jonker Walk, Bar Eleven serves decent portuguese food.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g306997-d1…

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Portugese settlement seafood restuarants

If you ask the locals, most of them will tell you that stall no.: 1 is the best. I have been there twice but havent had any chance to try stall no.: 1 because this stall always full of customers. No matter which stall you try, never ever try stall no.: 3 because the stupid middle age lady with long hair who always go around to take order is so damn rude. She is really suck.

Edited: 05 January 2012, 14:44
8. Re: Portugese settlement seafood restuarants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 01:40