We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melaka in 5 hours

Bogor, Indonesia
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Melaka in 5 hours

Dear All, I have plan to explore Melaka on Feb 7,but only for 5 hours. Then i'll continue my trip to Penang with night bus. I need some info as follows:

1. Which recommended place to visit within short time?

2. Is it safe for women to explore city at night?

3. I've read before, from Melaka central to bus station can be reached by local bus. What time is the last bus? cost?

4. Night bus from Melaka to Penang? schedule n cost?

Thanks before,

Rina

Melaka, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Melaka
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melaka in 5 hours

HI Rina

Melaka town center is concentrated around the Dutch Square (Studhuys / Red Houses) . You can take Panorama town bus to this place (return trip is not from here as it is one way street) and work your way; China town which is across the river and St Paul hill and Colonial administrative district is adjascent to Dutch square.

The map below gives you some idea. Victoria fountain is in the middle of Dutch square, across the bridge is Jalan Hang Jebat / Jonker Street (china town) and Jalan Kota is where the colonial administrative buildings are.

melakatravel.com/2011/…

Tourist area in Melaka is safe throughout the night except for motrocycle snatch thieves. Your handbag should not be on the street side to avoid such risk.

There are night buses to Penang but not all listed online. You should enquire upon arriving in Melaka Sentral bus station

www.journeymalaysia.com/ptamelaka.htm#18

Bogor, Indonesia
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Melaka in 5 hours

Hi, Alex..

Thanks so much for your information & advice,really helpful. :)

But i still can't find any information about local bus that can take me to Melaka bus station. Is there any bus at night (8-9pm)? or should i take taxi? how long it takes time n cost from Melaka central to bus station?

Thanks

Melaka, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Melaka
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melaka in 5 hours

Hi Rina

Taxi costs Rm15-20 from Jonker Walk to Melaka sentral. Bus going back to Melaka Sentral is from Mahkota Hotel which is across the highway from Mahkota Parade mall.

Bogor, Indonesia
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Melaka in 5 hours

Many thanks to u,Alex.. Can't wait to visit Melaka soon. :)

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Melaka in 5 hours

I just came back from SE Asia. We drove down to Melaka for a day and it was a highlight of the trip. Biggest problem was not enough time we wish we had stayed over night. The short time you have do Dutch Square then across the bridge to Jonker St and the other shops in the area. I enjoyed the river cruise my girlfriend not so much. We did find a shop operated by a couple of brothers from Kashmir where we spent an hour talking with them and having tea from there home. It was great. I am not sure if it would be considered inappropriate to give name here. You will love it.

Bogor, Indonesia
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Melaka in 5 hours

Hi..

Thanks for your information. Now i'm thinking to change my itinerary trip,to spend maybe one night in Melaka. But still not fixed yet,as i only have 6 days off to explore Kuala lumpur,Penang,Melaka & Singapore.

What kind of shop that kashmir brother have? is it located at jonker street?

Thanks

7. Re: Melaka in 5 hours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2014, 05:17