We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Very easy transfer from Singapore to Melaka needed

Hampshire
Level Contributor
307 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Very easy transfer from Singapore to Melaka needed

Can you recommend an easy way for two people who have never been to Singapore or Malaysia before, who are very tired from of a long flight and not use to the heat, to get very easily from their hotel in Singapore to a hotel in Melaka?

If you are recommending a private transfer can you recommend a firm I can contact to arrange this?

Alternatively is it possible to hire a guide who meets us at our hotel, goes with us in a taxi to the bus station, purchases our ticket and puts us on the right bus and if so do you know who I can contact to arrange this?

Any other viable suggestions of a way to make this exceptionally easy for 2 tired people would be welcome.

Thanks for help

Sydney
Level Contributor
263 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Very easy transfer from Singapore to Melaka needed

Hi, just so you know, the bus from Singapore to Melaka is between 3-4 hours depending on traffic. It is really easy book. Just get on line and book the time that suits you. http://www.busonlineticket.com/

Honestly, I have been to Singapore 3 times and it is really not that hard that your need a guide to help you. Everyone speaks English and Singapore is superbly organised city. It is like being in London or Sydney. Dead easy.

(1) Buy tickets online ahead of time to ensure you get a seat. Popular times get sold out. Cost is between SGD20-23 per person each way. There are many different bus companies doing the Sgp to Melaka route. Each one departs at a different bus station. Just pick the one that leaves at the time you want togo - they all provide more or less same service. You should be at the bus station 30 mins before departure as Singaporeans are keen on doing everything correctly and in an orderly fashion. (Nice thing about Sgp).

(2) From the hotel get a taxi to take you to correct bus station which will be printed on your online booking form. Taxis are really cheap and plentiful in Singapore- most short trips are no more than SGD10-15 (except airport to CBD where I have paid between SGD18-25 depending on where I stayed).

Best always have cash ready as not all taxi take credit card in Singapore. If you must pay by credit card, ask the driver if he accepts, BEFORE you get in - and dont assume that because he has a Visa/MC/Amex Card sticker on the window of the taxi that he will accept it - some will tell you their credit card machine is not working as they want cash fares only.

Sydney
Level Contributor
263 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Very easy transfer from Singapore to Melaka needed

Hi, and once you get to Melaka Sentral (the main Melaka bus station), again, you just jump in a taxi and get them to take you to Melaka hotel. I think it is around 4km from Melaka Sentral to the main tourist strip of Jonker Street (anyway too far and too hot to walk + it rains a lot ha ha).

Remember to get some Malaysian currency from the foreign exchange office at Singapore airport or in Singapore itself so you have money to pay the driver in Melaka. Very few taxi drivers will take credit card and the fare is so tiny it is not worth it. The cost for taxi should be perhaps 10 Malaysian Ringgits - make sure you establish the price before you start the trip as most do not put a meter on (some dont even appear to have them).

Melaka, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Melaka
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Very easy transfer from Singapore to Melaka needed

Hi wildlifewatch

I agree with Yasmine, there is no need to hire guide as travelling between Singapore can be done economically with luxury coach bookable through two of the sites. Five stars and Konsortium offer business class like seats which are worth considering

http://www.busonlineticket.com/

http://www.easibook.com/

Depending on where you stay, some hotels can prearrange taxi / pick up for you as taxis in Melaka Sentral tend to be owned by touts or have car in poor conditions. Some of Konsortium coaches terminate in big hotels like Equatorial and Holiday Inn if you happen to stay there or nearby

In Melaka, tourist places require no tour guide as they are centred around Dutch Square and the area is so small most tourists can cover main places of interested within half a day

4. Re: Very easy transfer from Singapore to Melaka needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2014, 07:16