We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Long to Stay?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
168 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
How Long to Stay?

Hiya

I'm planning a quick trip to Malaysia, and was wondering how long you would advise me to stay in Melaka in order to see all there is to see? I'm just interested in general tourism, maybe a boat trip and soaking up the general atmosphere.

Sorry, I know this is a 'how long is a piece of string' type question, but I don't want to leave before I've really seen the place, but neither do I want to spend too much time there when I could be elsewhere.

Thanks in advance.

Melaka, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Melaka
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How Long to Stay?

Hi there,

If you can stay one of the nights over the weekend, then 2-3 nights will be sufficient as the historic centre is small where most people can cover within a day. The weekend night market is quite atmospheric but you may also want to experience one week day before the sudden influx of weekend tourists from nearby cities.

There are Cheng Ho, Baba Nyonya and Ethnology musuems that are must see. The 45 mins river cruise is best taken around 7pm and the rovolving tower is also best during sunset (7.15pm) wher you can see the Sunset on Melaka strait and the glittering nightlight of the historic centre and nearby commercial area of Melaka raya.

Best to avoid Monday and Tuesday as many shops and musuems have a day off.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
127 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How Long to Stay?

We stayed in Melaka for 5 days and that was too long.

Melaka is small and 2- 3 days is all you need.

We did the boat trip along the river at night too which was relaxing after a day wandering around the streets

Give Melaka a short visit and if you want to spend a longer time somewhere then do go to Penang.

Edited: 18 April 2013, 04:51
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Gibraltar
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How Long to Stay?

We stayed 2 nighta and that was absolutely fine, no need to stay more but we weren't rushed eithte.

WE were there Mon and Tue night and I didn't see any restaurants closed as Alex pointed out

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,520 posts
5,697 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How Long to Stay?

Hello eriskay,

I'd say that 1 night is not really enough time but that 5 nights is quite a stretch for Melaka, unless you are using it as a place to hole-up and relax. We've made day trips (from S'pore and KL), overnight and multiple night stays in Malacca over the years and feel its definitely worth giving 2-3 nights if you want to explore the area thoroughly and enjoy some of the restaurants there. Then it would be ok to move on to the next destination.

5. Re: How Long to Stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2014, 05:17