We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coach then Train - Melaka to KL - our experience

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
42 posts
253 reviews
Save Topic
Coach then Train - Melaka to KL - our experience

Upon arriving to Melaka from Singapore we thought it wise to book our coach to KL while we were there.

We would have been happy to travel with the coach company we had used from Singaport (Starmart Express) but they didn't do the route so ended up with KKKL as we had seen many of their buses on the highway on the way up.

The bus looked OK from the outside and was relatively clean inside except as soon as we stepped on we could smell cigarette smoke. It wasn't over the top but still there so we were a bit disappointed with that as the coaches all have "no smoking" signs.

The seats were comfortable with plenty of leg room (I wish airlines would give you that much in economy class!) and were reclining. The configuration was 1 seat, aisle, then 2 seats so very comfortable.

We were a bit perturbed that there were no seatbelts. We thought that this would be compulsory but apparently not so a bit uncomfortable with that.

The driver drove steadily and when it started raining heavily he adjusted his speed to suit.

At one point I could smell cigarette smoke so looked down the bus to see most people asleep and then I realised it was the driver! He had two cigarettes on the 2 hour trip, although when the traffic came to a crawl when we got closer to KL I could understand why he needed the second one!

When we arrived in KL I thought we would be dropped off at Sentral but it drops you at the newest terminal TBS. Here is a link to someone's opinion about it travelfish.org/blogs/…

It was very clean and air conditioned but we had to find out how to get to Sentral so asked the guy at the information counter.

He told us we had to take the KTM train (Kommuter train) on the second platform and gave us directions. It was all pretty simple. We bought our ticket from the ticket booth but there are machines which are pretty easy to follow if you take it step by step.

When we got down to the platform I asked a young lady if we were in the right place. She confirmed we were but kindly added more information......there are carriages on the train that are for women only and because we were a mixed party we would need to share a mixed carriage. We were quite surprised to hear this.

We boarded the very clean train and made it to Sentral which is a very busy place.

We needed to get the monorail to Chow Kit where we had booked our accommodation. Unfortunately this wasn't as simple as there was a lot of renovation happening near the monorail area. So after a bit of struggling with luggage down stairs (the elevator had been decommissioned) and around the corner and over the street, we finally came to the monorail station. We thought the signage was very poor but we made it after making enquiries as we went.

The monorail has to be the best way to travel in a city. You get to see a lot more and there are no traffic jams or hold ups.....very economical also. We are fortunate our accommodation is just across the road from a station.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,616 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coach then Train - Melaka to KL - our experience

Regarding commuter train>>

The segregation of male and female coach was done on a high handed manner without a detailed viable study on passenger loading.

All the people of Malaysia was caught with this inconsiderate implementation.

2. Re: Coach then Train - Melaka to KL - our experience

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2014, 05:17