We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental / Taxi

Which Melaka hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental / Taxi

I will be staying at Casa Del Rio hotel during August for a short trip. As I would want to check out A'Famosa Safari Wonderland and first time going to Malacca, I'm concerned on the transport part. Are taxi in Malacca reliable and safe? Or a car rental with driver would be preferred - if so, what are the good car companies to recommend please? Please advise if taxi or car rental would be a better option. Thanks

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,262 posts
5,503 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental / Taxi

Hello Dada050909,

Melaka is very small, much smaller than Singapore for example. As such, the need for taxi service is much less than what you are likely used to at home. Also, many of the popular tourist attractions are concentrated in the historic city center area. They are easily within short walking distance from most others. As such, taxi service is really only useful if you are staying considerably outside the city center, need a ride to the bus station or potentially all the way to KL.

Anyway, we have used taxis sparsely in Melaka in the past, just to the bus station and encountered no trouble whatsoever. Also, I'm not personally aware of any safety risks of using taxis in Melaka.

However, for your own ease and comfort, you might want to do a forum search on the topic, just type into the Search Box at the top of the page and see what past discussions come up. Here is one that I found that might be worth a quick read. It discusses taxi usage a bit. Mind you, the thread is a bit dated so hopefully someone near to Melaka can update on the situation. See link if interested.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g306997-i9410-k372…

Hope this is useful and that you enjoy your trip to Melaka.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental / Taxi

Hi, thanks for the reply! From the map, it will take approximately 30mins to reach A'Famosa Safari Park from Casa Del Rio. Still, I'm now more comfortable towards having taxi service, thanks to your advice. Also, as I do not know how malacca bus system actually works, I'll actually just skip that as I'll need to spend another couple of days to research on which I wouldn't want to. The link given sure is helpful and answered most of my questions. Guess it's still relatively fine and I'm going ahead to have a taxi service :)

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental / Taxi

Hi Dada,

It will be advisable to book shuttle services though a professional and reliable company for all your travel needs in and around Malacca. One good option is the shuttle and Personalised Tour services provided by Fenix Inn (fenixinn.com). Hope you will have a good holiday in Malacca!

4. Re: Car Rental / Taxi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2014, 07:17