We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malacca Rickshaw Scam- BEWARE!!

Which Melaka hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
37 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Malacca Rickshaw Scam- BEWARE!!

My brother and his family went to Malacca recently and they had a horrible experience with the rickshaw tour. The family of 6 hired two rickshaws to bring them around. The Chinese rickshaw driver charged RM40 per rickshaw. That was supposed to be a 1-hour ride, and covered 9 places of interest.

However, only about 15 mins into the tour, the rickshaw drivers hassled them and drive them to the last place. By then they had only covered 3 places. When my brother requested him to bring them to the rest of the 6 places, he demanded extra money from them. My sister-in-law felt that it was a rip-off and she kept complaining to the driver. Guess what, the driver brought them to a small alley and asked them if they wanted a fight! The whole family felt terrified as their safety were threatened.

I wish to highlight this to everyone so that you'll be more careful. Don't fall prey to these unscrupulous rickshaw driver!

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malacca Rickshaw Scam- BEWARE!!

i'm sorry to hear how your friends where treated. must have been a horrible experience. luckily most of the rickshaws are good people and enjoy taking tourists on a ride around town. it's hard to avoid it, when someone has in mind to do something bad, but if we follow our guts and say no if it doesn't feel good we might save ourselves from trouble

London, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Malacca Rickshaw Scam- BEWARE!!

I have heard of such incidents happening but these are quite rare. I am sorry to hear that your brother had an unpleasant experience but I agree that most of the rickshaw drivers are good-natured and behave well, especially with tourists, as experienced by my sister and brother in law last year. They felt that the price they paid was a little high but were satisfied with the service and behavior of the rickshaw driver.

Medan
Level Contributor
963 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malacca Rickshaw Scam- BEWARE!!

thats horrible and and think i should be aware of as i am heading to melaka myself in 6 days.

anyway, regarding the rickshaw tour. 9 spots in 1 hour, i assume this is only passing by and no stop at the places?? and is the RM40 the normal price for all rickshaw tour??

cheers

4. Re: Malacca Rickshaw Scam- BEWARE!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2015, 05:16