We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

active things to do

Which Mobile hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, US
5 posts
Save Topic
active things to do

my family is taking a cruise out of Mobile later this month. we are thinking about going to mobile early to visit. are there any active things to do for a family with older active teens? we are looking for water, hiking, bike rentals something outdoors. any suggestions?

thanks for any assistance

KEH

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
6,935 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: active things to do

Look to the left for 'things to do " Uss Alabama

Also on the causeway--http://airboatexpress.com/

Continue along causeway to Meaher Park--http://www.alapark.com/parks/park.cfm?parkid=24

All this within a 3 mile stretch--could use up a whole day

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: active things to do

The Grand Hotel at Point Clear, AL is a fine resort with a lot of activities to keep your family busy. It's 30 minutes S of Mobile and an easy drive. You could visit the Battleship Alabama on your way over. There's a great pool and a nice paved walking trail along # 98 Alternate. You will pass through Fairhope just before you get to PC. Stop for lunch and visit the neat shops there.

Good luck and have a great trip.

marriott.com/hotels/…

Edited: 04 March 2011, 17:38
Millbrook, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,714 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: active things to do

I second Axle's recommendation of the Grand Hotel. They have tons of outdoor activities. Another option would be to go to Gulf Shores, Orange Beach or Dauphin Island where you will definitely have lots of outdoor activities.

Foley, Alabama
Level Contributor
304 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: active things to do

Hello Kathy --- you didn't say where you will stay. Many people who plan to take a cruise in Mobile stay in Gulf Shores, Orange Beach, Foley or on the Eastern Shores.

You will be missing the jewel of the state if you don't make a trip to Gulf Shores area. As a family with teens you will find many outdoor "active" things to do in the area from biking to parasailing to kayaking.

I also suggest you check out the Gulf Shores/Orange Beach website under "Things To Do" --- you can scroll any interest from "attractions" and "nature trails" --- both land and water based.

You can read how past guests to the area feel about the various attractions etc/ by going to each Trip Advisor page to read reviews: Mobile, Orange Beach, Gulf Shores and Foley.

... and if you are on Facebook post a few questions on the Al Gulf Coast Facebook page. You'll likely get dozens of suggestions to keep you hopping during your stay here!

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
1,023 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: active things to do

Just a short drive up I-65 north at the exit for Creola, you can take an eco-tour by boat in the Mobile Delta. There is an outfit names Wildland Expeditions, and the guide is a native from several generations who is extremely knowledgeable and interesting. The trip was BEAUTIFUL with wildlife, and lots of flora...and it was i believe in late march. reasonably priced for a couple hours. I learned a lot about the area's history and i have lived here most of my life. You can find this outfit in a Mobile tourism guide.

Also, you can drive to Dauphin Island for the day. The beaches are much quieter than Gulf Shores & Orange Beach, and more for the "outdoor lover". There are birding trails, bike paths, bike rentals, forested areas along the beach, and the Sea Lab Estuarium, a small, educational aquarium & observation sea lab with adjacent fishing piers, a ferry across Mobile Bay, and historic Fort Gaines that can all be toured withing walking distance.

www.estuarium.disl.org

also near Mobile you can visit Bellingrath Gardens...very pretty...a little bit $$$ though.

Have fun,

Miller

6. Re: active things to do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 13:18
Get answers to your questions about Mobile