We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend Trip Agenda on the way to the Beach

HSV, AL
Level Contributor
184 posts
151 reviews
Save Topic
Weekend Trip Agenda on the way to the Beach

hey there! booked a room at Hampton Inn by the Bay Downtown Mobile for the first wknd of June (Saturday-Monday) before heading down to the beach near Destin. so after arriving around 2pm from our drive down, this is what i'm interested in doing in Mobile:

1. tour the battleship

2. do the 5 rivers delta tour (unless the southern belle at bellingrath gardens is the same thing more or less)

3. visit bellingrath gardens

4. go to different places to eat based on reviews and recommendations: three george choc/saucy q's/felix's/spot of tea

5. visit fort conde museum

6. tour conde-charlotte house

can i easily fit all this in sat/sun and maybe stop at bellingrath Monday on the way down to the beach? any suggestions on best order or any other good advice on getting around or places to see or stop and eat besides these?

want to pack in the most for my weekend before we go chill the rest of the week....thanks!!!

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,470 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend Trip Agenda on the way to the Beach

Some thoughts: Bellingrath Gardens is not on the way to Destin,it is 45 minutes west of downtown. Fort Conde/Charlotte 5 minutes together, battleship/ 5 rivers 10 minutes away almost together. In addition you have the Delta Airboat in that area ie the causeway,also there is the Meaher State

Park.

The ship is steel, it gets hot, go early

Edited: 20 February 2013, 22:48
Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,470 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend Trip Agenda on the way to the Beach

PS I am confused by the phrase HI "by the Bay downtown" That is not what HI calls the downtown--they call it "historic downtown" And the HI in DapHne is the "East Bay" which btw has terrific views from the bayview windows of the delta and causeway.

If you stay downtown you may want to walk the club area on Dauphin Street 5 minutes away

HSV, AL
Level Contributor
184 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend Trip Agenda on the way to the Beach

the hampton inn downtown near the bay not the one in Daphne. thanks for the tips on the distances, that is helpful info. we are not interested in "club" areas so would certain areas of downtown be better or safer for looking around to shop and find a good place to eat in the evenings?

also, i realize bellingrath is toward the west but i was afraid i would not be able to pack all this in only part of a day Sat and all day Sunday.

so sounds like the way to go would be do the delta river and have dinner saturday, battleship sunday and the gardens monday since we probably have to wait till afternoon to check in at the beach anyway and we'd be only about 2 hrs away.

we'll see:)

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,470 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend Trip Agenda on the way to the Beach

There is little shopping downtown or in all of Mobile for that matter. Look at Eastern Shore Center for shopping.

Any of the restaurants on the causeway are good..all seafood. Try fried crabclaws for a local dish

If you have time,do Meaher Park,virtually free, and you might see a gator on the walkway

HSV, AL
Level Contributor
184 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend Trip Agenda on the way to the Beach

ok, thank you.

Level Contributor
43 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weekend Trip Agenda on the way to the Beach

I think your sightseeing choices are great. I hope you have time just to walk up and down dauphin street downtown. This area is called LoDa (lower dauphin). Between the restaurants, architecture, and art galleries it is an enjoyable walk. Also, saucy q is not within walking distance, but Moes BBQ is and it is wonderful. Wintzells is one of the oldest resturants in town (75 years) with great seafood and oysters. And 3 George's is great, but stop by a&m peanut shop, too. If you like music there is a jazz cafe, piano bar and other great venues as well. Moes has music most nights too.

7. Re: Weekend Trip Agenda on the way to the Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Mobile