We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Mobile

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Getting to Mobile

I want to travel to Mobile, next February to visit family, I will be coming from either New York or Washington DC, and I was wondering what is the best way to get there? I understand there is an airport, but not many flights go there? Is there another airport nearby that has flights from the East?

Also open to catching the train?

Thanks.

Helena, Alabama
Level Contributor
259 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Mobile

Mobile (MOB) has an airport with service provided by most of the major US airlines to their eastern hubs. Presuming you are renting a car, you can also fly into the nearby Gulfport-Biloxi, Mississippi (GPT) or Pensacola, Florida (PNS) airports. The gulf coast is a popular tourist destination and hosts many major military installations that drive air traffic; I think you'll be surprised by the service available. The train is not a practical option for Mobile from NYC or Washington, DC unless you wanted to rent a car in either Birmingham, AL or New Orleans, LA along the route of the Amtrak Crescent and drive to Mobile from there - both lengthy drives. Hope this helps and enjoy your visit to Mobile.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,617 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Mobile

I beg to differ a bit with Civil. The train does stop at Hattiesburg Ms which is 1.5-2 hours north of here. But I have done a major part of your route and it is just too long and the scenic parts are done at night.

Birmingham, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Mobile

There are plenty of flight options into Mobile with most of the major airlines - Delta, United, American. Checking random dates, I did see that the cheapest option for those dates was US Airways. I have had bad luck with them, and they are bad about delays and cancelled flights. I would recommend one of the others. You shouldn't have any problem finding a flight directly into Mobile. Just know that you will not likely find a direct, non-stop flight into Mobile from NYC or DC.

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
572 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Mobile

There are no direct flights from either city you mentioned. You will connect in either Atlanta,Charlotte or Memphis for flights coming from the Atlantic seaboard states. If you are flying to America from Auckland you will be coming in from the West coast. I have made that flight many years ago. Anyhow there are direct flights from those three cities I mentioned as well as Chicago, Dallas and Houston. You will have no trouble getting to Mobile from any airport in America though. You will just have to connect in a major airport. I would stick with flying into Mobile.

Helena, Alabama
Level Contributor
259 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Mobile

If you do choose to use the train, be aware that you'll need to rent a car away from the station which will require some extra steps - not even New Orleans has on-site car rental to my knowledge. Also keep in mind that the trains in America outside of the Northeast Corridor from Washington DC to Boston are MUCH slower than what you find in Europe.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,617 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Mobile

If your stop is in a city served by Enterprise, they will come and pick you up at the station (thanks Charlottesville Va).. Just takes a little coordination and arriving at the right time!

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Mobile

Thank you all very much for taking the time to make suggestions and give input, it has been very helpful. I am going to take them all on board. I will look into the best option to fly into Mobile, from one of the mentioned connecting airports.

Many thanks.

Helena, Alabama
Level Contributor
259 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Mobile

>If your stop is in a city served by Enterprise, they will come and pick you up at the station (thanks Charlottesville Va).. Just takes a little coordination and arriving at the right time!

Good tip Felschurch! chelsjo261 this might be a good option. The Crescent is daylight both south and north bound in this area so Enterprise should be available; be sure to check hours of operation on weekends, especially on Sunday as they may be limited.

Hattisburg, MS does look like the closest stop: http://www.amtrak.com/crescent-train

9. Re: Getting to Mobile

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2014, 06:21
Get answers to your questions about Mobile