We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Tunnels?

Which Mobile hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
The Tunnels?

Good morning,

We are planning a driving road trip this summer coming from Canada. Going to Nashville, Memphis and then perhaps down to Vicksburg, MS or Hattiesburg, MS. From there we want to make our way down through Mobile, AL.

Question is - when should we plan on crossing through the tunnels? We are thinking we should be in Mobile or going through on a Thursday afternoon or early Friday morning in the 2nd week of August. When will traffic be the lightest? Any time of day better than the other? We could come into Mobile either On I-10 or on 98 depending on which will get us through easier. We most likely will go right through Mobile and stay in Foley, AL.

We would like to leave Memphis on the Thursday morning early and make Foley later that day - is that possible?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Alabama
Level Contributor
17 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Tunnels?

The best time to go through the tunnels in Mobile in the summer time is in the morning. Weekday afternoons will be a hit or miss depending on when you go through. During the weekends you really need to plan on going through in the morning. Memphis to Foley in one day can be done just depends on how fast you drive and how many times you stop. I drove Memphis to Mobile in one day but I drive fast and don't stop oftern. It took me about 5 hours I think. If you come down Hwy 98 into Mobile then I would suggest to take the Afican Town bridge. Once you get into Mobile and run into I- 65 head north on the interstate about 4 miles to exit 9. Then you will take I-165 to Alt Hwy 90 which will take you over the river and drop you down on the causeway. You can then piclup I-10. If you use I-10 to come into Mobile take the tunnel.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Tunnels?

The drive from Memphis can be made in a day but not if you're going from Memphis to (possibly) Vicksburg as you stated above. Vicksburg would be a great stop on your list, but if coming from Memphis I suggest you take route 78 to Tupelo then down route 45 to Mobile. You can stay on route 45 all the way to alt. route 90 (S. Craft Hwy/Bay Bridge Rd) and it'll take you across the bay and back to either I-10 or route 98 without going thru the tunnels at all. We always go this way.

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
516 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Tunnels?

The only real time to avoid is rush hour and early morning like when people are going to work. The rest is hit and miss. I have had very good luck recently with not getting into a jam at the Wallace tunnel(I-10). The Hwy 98 route becomes Moffett Road and then Government Street in Mobile which would take you through the Bankhead Tunnel. You shouldn't have a problem and I surely wouldn't plan this portion of your trip around the tunnels. I would allow 6 to 8 hours to get to Foley from Memphis. Again depending on how you drive, traffic in Memphis, Jackson and Mobile.

4. Re: The Tunnels?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2015, 13:19
Get answers to your questions about Mobile