We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Uk Couple Honeymooning in the Deep South

Chorley, Uk
5 posts
Save Topic
Uk Couple Honeymooning in the Deep South

Hi all, i would be really grateful if you could share some good advice on travelling around your area.

Our first day takes us from Atlanta to Montgomery.

We are looking for nice places to see on our drive and would prefer not to be stuck on the inter states.

We had Fayetteville, Peachtree city, Newnan, Franklin, Roanoke, Alexander City and Montgomery as a potential route.

Does this seem ok, or i have i missed some places which must be seen etc, your help would be much appeciated.

Is there anywhere we should avoid?

Cheers

Mobile
Level Contributor
212 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Uk Couple Honeymooning in the Deep South

I'd need to know more about what you are trying to see. I'm from Alabama, and I really like the state, but I have never thought there is much to see around Montgomery, unless you like miles of pine trees.

If I were to start a trip in the deep south from Atlanta, my favorite option would be to head north, maybe hit Athens, which is perhaps the nicest college town in the world, go north towards Waynesville NC which is in the beautiful Smokey Mountains, and wind up on the Blue Ridge Parkway for some nice scenary before rolling into Ashville, NC area to tour the famous Biltmore mansion. From there, off to Charleston, South Carolina and then down the coast to Savannah Georgia. Now that would be a nice trip. There are some really nice bed and breakfast places along this route too. Try bbonline.com

Huntsville, Birmingham, Mobile all have things to offer, though not as much as the route I've just described. Gulf Shores and Orange Beach Alabama have really nice white sand beaches. Huntsville has the Space and Rocket Center which is kind of neat.

Montgomery........well, I'm just not impressed. You can go to the Montgomery Zoo - pretty nice I've heard. You can go to the Alabama state capitol and stand on the bronze star which marks the spot that Jefferson Davis took the oath of office as president of the Confederacy. A nice moment if you are into civil war history...but just a moment.

Wherever you decide to go, good luck and I hope you have a wonderful trip.

Alabama
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Uk Couple Honeymooning in the Deep South

Your route sounds fine. If you are in a town that is the county seat be sure to go downtown and check out the area around the courthouse. I recently visited LaGrange for the first time and was very impressed. It is a really cute town. There are parts of Atlanta that are not safe, but once you are out of the city, I do not know of any areas that you would need to avoid. Where else will you be going?

Chorley, Uk
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Uk Couple Honeymooning in the Deep South

Thankyou for your time, i think can tweek my route to take in lagrange and we plan to visit Orange Beach and surrounding area in the mobile leg of the trip.

Our overall plan is to travel from Atlanta to Montgomery to Mobile to New Orleans to Natchez to Memphis to Nashville to Chattanooga and back to Atlanta all in two weeks.

We are visiting at the end of October this year, what kind of weather is likely? Is that the tail end of hurricane season?

Alabama
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Uk Couple Honeymooning in the Deep South

It sounds like a great trip. The Alabama Shakespeare Festival is housed in Montgomery. It has beautiful grounds. Their offerings extend beyond Shakespeare and are generally quite good.

LaGrange is not a long stop, but it has a charming downtown and is very close to your route and would make a neat place to grab breakfast or lunch.

In Mobile, if you are interested in gardens, be sure to visit Bellingrath Gardens and be sure to check out Fairhope which is on the eastern side of Mobile Bay. I love to stay at the Grand Hotel in the spa or the original building in Fairhope, but a less expensive and still charming place to stay is Away at the Bay. From that side of the bay, you are not far from Gulf Shores, Orange Beach and even Pensacola which all have their special attributes.

As to your question about anywhere to avoid, as with most cities, there are parts that are not very safe. If you do not know whether a hotel is in a safe part of town, be sure to inquire. For instance, I personally would only visit downtown Atlanta during a business day or in the middle of the day on a Saturday.

You asked about the weather. We still have some severe weather at that time of year. However, October is one of my favorite times of year as the skies are typically blue and the weather is typically cool but not cold.

Once you hit Montgomery, your route will mostly be interstate. However, there are some good places to stop along the route. For instance, you might want to have a meal at Bates House of Turkey in Greenville, AL just about an hour south of Montgomery. It has been there forever and is good southern food that has not been turned into a mega chain.

You are certainly planning a full trip! Good luck and enjoy!

Chorley, Uk
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Uk Couple Honeymooning in the Deep South

Thankyou very much for your time taken to respond

Lancashire England
Level Contributor
209 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Uk Couple Honeymooning in the Deep South

Hi Richforch,

I have just come back from a similar trip and it was great.

We went to Americus and Andersonville Georgia driving through Eufaula on the GA-AL border (a beautiful place)before hitting Montgomery.

I really liked the place (although it's the capital of Alabama it's no bigger than Chorley!!)

We did a free trolley tour from the information center and got loads of info from that and then did it again getting on and off to visit the "first white house of the confederacy etc"

We saw the star that marks the spot where jefferson took oath and stood on the spot where MLK gave one of his speeches after marching from Selma.

We also saw the place where Rosa Parks got arrested for not giving up her seat to a white person on a bus.

There is a lot of civil rights movement stuff there and very interesting.

We loved it, we too were offered the Shakespear thing, but we thought that if you have the real thing at home, why visit a copy?

As in Georgia we found the people of Alabama to be so polite and friendly and treat you like a celeb when finding out you come from England.

We stayed in a Best Western (good accomodation is the norm) just outside Montgomery before driving to Mobile via Pensacola FL (had a swim in the clear blue sea of the Gulf Coast and the deep white sand is a wonder to behold!)

We too tried to keep off the interstates and main roads and the driving was easy, very quiet and surrounded by farmland...lovely.

Les

Alabama
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Uk Couple Honeymooning in the Deep South

Les

What a great trip report. Thank you for sharing. I am glad the trip worked out for you!

Montgomery, AL
Level Contributor
50 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Uk Couple Honeymooning in the Deep South

Hello! I live in Montgomery, and I can tell you that there is a LOT to do here! Most people just don't know how much we have.

You can tailor an itinerary to match your interests. Try visiting the Convention & Visitor Bureau web site at www.visitingmontgomery.com for ideas. You can look at attractions by area of interests. Start your visit at the Montgomery Visitor Center at historic Union Station. They can provide maps, directions and recommendations. Also, there is a trolley -- for only $1 you can get an all-day pass to ride. It's a great way to tour downtown, and you can get on and off the trolley at attractions along the route.

An earlier poster mentioned the Alabama Shakespeare Festival. Even if you prefer not to see a play, or don't have enough time, it is a wonderful place for a visit, as it is located in Blount Cultural Park. There are ponds, walking trails, and beautiful architecture, so it's a great place to stop and stretch your legs. Maybe stop off and pick up a picnic lunch before you hit the park - there are picnic tables. While in the park, visit the Shakespeare Gardens. It is located directly adjacent to the main Festival building (you can't miss it) and features plants mentioned in Shakespeare's works. It's really neat. Also, ASF gives "behind the scenes" backstage tours for only $5! Check their web site at www.asf.net for tour schedules.

Also, the Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts is located in Blount Cultural Park. They have a wonderful permanent collection, as well as interesting traveling exhibits. They ask for a donation, but there is no fee to tour the musuem. You can check out their exhibit schedule closer to the date of your trip at www.mmfa.org.

The Montgomery Zoo is terriific! It features the animals in "free range" type environments, and grouped by Continent, so that you can see what animals would live together in the wild. There are 4 giraffes, 3 elephants, 2 black rhinoceroses, and many many other animals. There is a little train that you can ride on a tour through the Zoo, and the Overlook Cafe is open for lunch.

Montgomery has TONS of historic sites. It is the Cradle of the Confederacy and the Birthplace of Civil Rights. You can visit the historic Alabama State Capitol - and see the spot on the steps where he was sworn in as President of the Confederacy - the Civil War Memorial, and First White House of the Confederacy. For Civil Rights history, we have the historic Dexter Avenue King Memorial Baptist Church, where Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. preached and led the Montgomery Bus Boycott; the Rosa Parks Library & Museum, which offers a unique interactive tour; and the Civil Rights Memorial - crafted by Maya Lin, who designed the Vietnam Wall war memorial in Washington D.C. - and Visitor Center that provides more information about the people who gave their lives in the fight for freedom and true equality. You can rent an MP3 player at the Montgomery Visitor Center for a walking or driving audio tour of Civil Rights Sites, produced by Alabama Public Television.

As you can tell, I could go on and on! I hope this helped!

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,797 posts
1,183 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Uk Couple Honeymooning in the Deep South

do not miss eufaula alabama, a charming small old time southern time with quaint tree liined streets and a grand lake

Fayetteville
Level Contributor
545 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Uk Couple Honeymooning in the Deep South

Touring Alabama is really boring. There isn't much to do and I am not putting the state down I have relatives that live there and I visit them often, but Alabama for fun? I think not. I would suggest going to Savannnah also. Very beautiful there.

Get answers to your questions about Montgomery