We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not to be missed in Montgomery

Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Not to be missed in Montgomery

Hi, my boyfriend and I will be in Montgomery on Thursday and Friday and we were wondering if there were any 'must see' sites? We are already planning on visiting the Rosa Parks Library and Museum but anywhere else of historical interest would be great. We're staying in Downtown Montgomery but will have a car so can travel. Thanks!

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Not to be missed in Montgomery

If it's not too hot, Jasmine hill gardens is very pretty.

Jasminehill.org

Also, IMO, nothing's better on the 4th than a ballgame and fireworks. Montgomery's Biscuits (AA for Tampa bay) will be home against the AA Braves of Jackson, MS. Fireworks following the game. The stadium is right downtown at the riverwalk.

Hopefully another will pitch in with some suggestions more historical, but have fun anyway!!

Miller

Helena, Alabama
Level Contributor
259 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Not to be missed in Montgomery

Do take the time to visit Old Alabama Town which depicts life as it was in the 1800s when Alabama was the American frontier. The Rosa Parks museum is interesting but the staff is a little off-putting; I experienced it during a visit this Spring and several other commenters have noted it as well; I can't explain why, maybe it's just one guide rubbing folks the wrong way. There is of course the Alabama State Capitol grounds which are free and open to stroll - in particular there is an avenue of state flags and beneath each flag is the state stone, sent from each of the states - including lava rock from Hawaii and petrified wood (from Arizona I believe?). The first White House of the Confederacy is located in the immediate area of the capitol and open for home tours; Dexter Avenue Baptist Church where MLK preached is very close by the capitol as well and open for tours. There is a civil rights memorial fountain located adjacent to the sidewalk in front of the Civil Rights Memorial Center - I've never been in the center so I can't provide any input there.

Have fun!

3. Re: Not to be missed in Montgomery

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2016, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Montgomery