We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jellyfish

Nashville
1 post
Save Topic
Jellyfish

Making at trip down there in a few weeks. Have been hearing stories about a lot of jellyfish in the water. Can anyone tell me how bad it is?

Gulf Shores, AL
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores, Orange Beach
Level Contributor
2,728 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jellyfish

Do a search on this forum for "jellyfish" and you'll see quite a few recent reports. Keep in mind that even though they may be here now, they may not be here tomorrow or in a few weeks.

Tennessee
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Jellyfish

Just returned from there and the warning flags were out all up and down the beach. Did see two (2) while in the water but not enough to keep people from swimming. The Fox weather report said the direction of the wind was a major factor. When the wind changed from south to north there were no jellyfish reports but even with a southern wind the warning was only to be alert that they could be present.

Woodstock, Illinois
Level Contributor
216 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jellyfish

Well ... just got back last night after spending a week in Orange Beach (Tradewinds) and I could not get in the water once!!! There were ALOT of jellyfish. (I am allergic to bees, etc. and carry an epi pen so did not want to risk the sting.)

Two teens with us were stung but it wasn't any big deal to them. There seemed to be more of them later in the day. They were there EVERY DAY!!!

Mentioned in this post
Tennessee
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Jellyfish

We live in Nashville too. ! My entire family was in Orange Beach the week of June 21st. Just got back. The Jellyfish were REALLY BAD one of the grandchildren was stung several times and my son inlaw as well. The beach was VERY dirty. My daughter had her foot cut by a broken shell. We all said it was nothing like Florida beaches. We won't go back.

Mentioned in this post
Nashville
Nashville
Davidson County, TN
The Jellyfish
The Jellyfish
463 Reviews
Perdido Key, FL
Florida
Florida
United States
Maryville, TN
Level Contributor
201 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jellyfish

Apparently the beach janitors weren't out to pick up those broken shells...what do you expect to find on the beach? We stay in Perdido Key, which is a Florida beach by the way, and even they have broken shells on the beach.

Mentioned in this post
Perdido Key
Perdido Key
Florida Panhandle, FL
Florida
Florida
United States
Tennessee
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Jellyfish

WOW! Sorry tngiants, didn't mean to ruffle anyones feathers. I simply told it as we experienced it, it was our first visit to the area, typically we always go to the panhandle or the keys. We were not impressed. grgreen was wanting info and rightly so. I praise her for being concerned. It may be ,by the time they get there the jellyfish could be gone, I hope they are and they enjoy themselves.

As for the beaches, the panhandle beaches are cleaned everyday, in addition to broken shells, on O range beachthere were other items found as we walked, that I will not mention.

I am not downgrading the area, It just wasn't a good first impression.

Searcy, Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jellyfish

Wow, We have been to both florida beaches and gulf shores,,,

I have never seen the beach in gulf shores dirty, ever...

But i have been to a couple of florida beaches that were dirty, and trashy activites were going on..

I guess it all depends on when and where,,,

My uncle metal detects and said that gulf shores beaches were so clean that he couldn't find anything on the beach...

The jelly fish are a problem all up and down the coast, as well as the eat cost...

Unusually warm waters this year....causing alot of the jelly fish activites,,

Alabama
Level Contributor
289 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jellyfish

Was there last week and no jellies in the Gulf, but plenty in the Bay.

Mentioned in this post
The Gulf
The Gulf
1,624 Reviews
Orange Beach, AL
Alabama
Level Contributor
289 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jellyfish

let me reprase my post above - I saw no jellies myself in the Gulf, but some people I met saw some just before we got down there - they come and go. So, you really can't 'plan' around what you hear - there is no schedule for the jellies.

Mentioned in this post
The Gulf
The Gulf
1,624 Reviews
Orange Beach, AL
Arkansas
Level Contributor
318 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jellyfish

True - the jellies have no schedule! It was a gorgeous day a few years ago when we were there and my daughter and nephew were playing in the shallow water and she came flying out - stung.

Meat tenderizer is what we put on it that seemed to work.

Any other remedies???

One guy (beach person) said pee on it? Another said lighter fluid?

I passed on both of those ideas!