We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Current Orange Beach visit

Memphis
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
Current Orange Beach visit

First, thanks to everyone who provided information regarding OB and the surrounding area. We had many questions and great concerns about where we walk our dog because Orange Beach/Gulf Shores does not seem to be a very "pet friendly" area. However, during our stay we have encountered several four-legged visitors.

As for restaurants, the first night (9/12), we visited Bubba's Seafood House on Perdido Beach Blvd. It was nearby and we were tired after a long drive. Although the food filled us up, it wasn't anything to write home about. Hubby enjoyed his boiled shrimp, but my chicken was a little dry. We've been there and probably won't go back.

However, on Sunday, we were out driving and getting the lay of the land when we came across a great park on Canal Road, just down from the OB Library. There is a really nice playground for children and a paved walking track that winds throughout and back to the bay area. At the bay area, there is a fantastic pier and you can walk out on and fish, observe or whatever. This is about 8 minutes from our condo and it is where we are exercising our dog everyday. We keep her leashed and, certainly, clean up after her, but it is a large area where she can be exercised without being censored. The only area that does not allow dogs in the park is the play area for the children and that is certainly understandable. So, with that problem solved, we continued exploring.

Returning from the park, we discovered The Fish Camp (on Canal Road). We ordered Po-Boys to go and they were fantastic. I had a catfish po-boy and my husband had 1/2 fried oyster and 1/2 shrimp. They were huge and very, very good.

Yesterday, 9/14, we had breakfast at Cafe Beignet (in the Winn Dixie strip mall on Perdido Beach Blvd). The owner is very nice and we each had an order of beignets (3) per person. They were very good and hot and we also had Cafe Au Lait. We really enjoyed our breakfast. Very relaxing and simply furnished. We will go back.

Last night, we rode across the Intracoastal and into Florida where we discovered The Crap Trap. Oh my goodness, the food was heavenly. My husband started with a dozen freshly shucked oysters. They were small, but good. He followed this with an entree of Shrimp Diane and I had the Chicken and Mushroom pasta in cajun sauce. Both entrees came to our table, piping hot and the servings were huge. Both dishes were served with small loaves of bread and butter. Both dishes were absolutely delicious and the shrimp in hubby's dinner were huge!! We had enough left over for dinner tonight. The Crab Trap is highly recommended for a fabulous meal and the price was about average -- about $52.00 for all, not including the tip.

Hope this has provided some helpful info and I will continue to post as long as we are here. The weather, although it has rained each day, has not stopped our fun. It rains, the sun comes out and all is well with the world. Hey, it's a tropical type climate so what else could you expect.

Enjoying ourselves immensely. What a great 25th anniversary celebration.

cjnspc

Alabama
Level Contributor
703 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Current Orange Beach visit

Wow, thanks for a great trip report! I've been vacationing in OB for the past 20 years and I still love to hear of all the things folks do on their vacation. I have not tried the beignet place, but it sounds great. I'll have to take my little ones next visit. My children love that park you found! I'm glad you found a nice place to exercies your dog! I laughed at your typo..."The Crap Trap"! LOL That is hilarious. We have not tried it yet...it sounds great! Glad you had a nice stay!

Memphis
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Current Orange Beach visit

You know, I didn't even catch my typo until you pointed it out. I just had to laugh, but I can assure anyone reading this that "The Crab Trap" is anything but crappy -- it is a wonderful restaurant and I would highly recommend it!!!!

Orange Beach is absolutely heavenly. I can't think of any place I would rather vacation. Drive is not too far, the amenties are endless and there is a wealth of entertainment and shopping. I can't wait to go back. In fact, I wish I was there right now.

us
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Current Orange Beach visit

WOW! It's nice to visit your stuff and I'm feeling great of sharing your trip experience..

Huntsville, AL
Level Contributor
237 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Current Orange Beach visit

I really enjoy the Crab Trap too, we go every time we are in OB. My favorite dish is the fisherman's platter, it's 3 blackened filets of mahi, tuna & grouper, with a creamy lump crab topping....add in some black eyed peas and corn on the cob...woo-hoo, good eats!

5. Re: Current Orange Beach visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 April 2010, 05:05
6. Re: Current Orange Beach visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2010, 08:24
Get answers to your questions about Orange Beach