We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Metal Detecting on beaches.

atlanta
Level Contributor
10 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Metal Detecting on beaches.

Are metal detectors allowed on the beaches in Gulf shores/Orange beach area?

Gulf Shores, AL
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores, Orange Beach
Level Contributor
2,725 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Metal Detecting on beaches.

annodal,

First of all, congratulations on asking a question that isn't already beaten to death on this forum! I know of no prohibition on metal detectors in our area.

Foley, Alabama
Level Contributor
304 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Metal Detecting on beaches.

annodal --- there are some restrictions according to this site: gulf-shores-travel-guide.com/metal-detecting…

You may want to contact the State Park also to learn if there are any restrictions since you can easily cross into State Park property from the public area.

We frequently see people with metal detectors in the Main public beach area. I asked one fellow if he found lots of treasures. He assured me he mostly does it for exercise and fun.

Have fun!

Searcy, Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Metal Detecting on beaches.

A few years back my uncle from texas stayed with us in fort morgan and he used his medal detector all up and down the beach and said he never saw such clean beaches ,

And we did see several people doing it a couple weeks back in gulf shores while we were there

West Hartford...
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores
Level Contributor
495 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Metal Detecting on beaches.

Keep in mind that BP "deep cleaned" the public beaches, sifting out a lot of stuff.

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
2,982 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Metal Detecting on beaches.

Just a sidenote: Last year my wife and I were there in September and staked out our little area under an umbrella on the public beach. I guess the end of the season is on opportune time to do metal detecting, because there were a couple of seasoned old guys combing the sand, up and down. I used to do this when I was young with a entry level model of some sort, so it's still facinating to me; however these people can be a little disconcerting when you are relaxing and they come right up to the edge of your towel - it's like good luck if something falls out of your pocket or bag. They would go up right next to beach towels left briefly while the owners were in the water. I just think there should be some basic etiquete about encroaching on someone's space.

Mobile, Alabama
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Metal Detecting on beaches.

what about dauphin island beeches?

Mobile, Alabama
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Metal Detecting on beaches.

what about restricted areas in the south alabama area?

1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Metal Detecting on beaches.

I just spoke to a employee with the Alabama state park service. He told there is NO metal detecting allowed at any AL state park. I wouldn't even have a detector in my vehicle.

Hope this helps.

Gulf Shores, AL
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores, Orange Beach
Level Contributor
2,725 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Metal Detecting on beaches.

From the Alabama State Parks website:

"(4) It shall be unlawful for any person to use any metal detection device in any State Park without permission from the Park manager."

To me, that means you can ask for permission from Mr Ranger and, if he/she says yes, then knock yourself out. I have seen metal detecting going on at State Park beach in GS/OB.

I think the regulation is aimed at historical sites more than beaches.

Edited: 07 March 2013, 22:49
Seymour, Tennessee
Level Contributor
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Metal Detecting on beaches.

We are here at the beach now and the first day nI went to the park ranger's headquarters and asked about metal detecting. they told me there were no restrictions as long as I asked first and made sure to refill my holes. I thanked them promised I would do just that and I would fill in any I found left by other hunters. If you want to hunt then ask permission first, pick up trash that you find and dispose of it properly. Trust me they do watch to see how and what you do. If you are conscientious in hunting and covering your holes you will not have a problem. If you dig and walk away they will stop everyone from hunting.