We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Area to Stay for Family with young kids

Which Orange Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Missouri
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
Best Area to Stay for Family with young kids

Hi all! We are planning our first trip to the Gulf Shores area for next May. (end of May/first of June) We have 3 kids who will be 3, 5 and 12 at the time of our trip. I have been looking through the different forums trying to find the best place or area to stay, but it is so overwhelming. At first, I thought I wanted to be right in the action...but some of the pictures i saw on the forums showed the pools packed, beaches full, etc. I know that time of year is busy for all areas. I thought being within walking distance to restaurants, etc would be very important to us...but really I don't think it would be. We wouldn't walk far with the little ones. I'm thinking our trip will be split between beach time and seeing the local attractions. We will be driving down, so we will have our own transportation. SOrry for the long post! In a nutshell...looking for a beachfront property with a nice pool...not so crowded (private beach would be fanatstic!) I've seen some properties with slides, etc in the pool, but wasn't sure about the areas. ANY suggestions to end this search for a great place would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Searcy, Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock
Level Contributor
2,307 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Area to Stay for Family with young kids

The music festival is always somewhere at the end of may, I would avoid that three day weekend at all cost.. 40,000 extra people in the area.

I think you might look at fort morgan.. Look at the beach club , they have a restaurant, a several pools, tennis courts.

Another alternate would be a second or third tier house in fort morgan in the morgantown neighborhood.

It has pools and open beach, not crowded

vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/…a6941

We stay in the island tower , near the T.. We have had the pools to ourselves several times, and the beach is never crowded.

A lot depends on your price range for a week..

Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Area to Stay for Family with young kids

Jbondo,

My family and I are driving down from Fort Worth, TX and looking for similar accommodations. Please let me know what you find. I can't tell the difference between the beach areas. I have noticed that if you are across the street from the beach its a lot cheaper. Let me know if you find something good and we aren't going till end of July so let me know after your trip. Happy Traveling. Being from Missouri I'm sure you plan on eating at Lambert's!!!

nitog111@gmail

Searcy, Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock
Level Contributor
2,307 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Area to Stay for Family with young kids

I would not stay across the street , unless it was in fort morgan..

Fort morgan is a 20 miles peninsula off of Gulf shores, more remote, less crowded, mainly beach houses, with a couple of condo's mixed in..

Gulf shores is made up of west beach, central and east ..

West beach is mostly houses , with a couple of high rise condo complexes across the street from the beach...

Central is the hub of the city, mostly condo's and townhomes , walking distance to restaurants and shops,

east is less walkable and filled with condo's, east flows into orange beach at the state park, being between the two cities . Orange beach has monster high rise condo complexes. then before the florida line, you have perdido key.. less crowded, not walkable to shops and food.

We stay in gulf shores central and have stayed in fort morgan in a few houses,, We like gulf shores central for the ease of going out , and the beach is never crowded .. Look on www.vrbo.com to save a few hundred on a rental....If you need answers about a certain complex , several of us can help with that .

Missouri
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Area to Stay for Family with young kids

Fordarama, THANK YOU for the tip about the music festival...we will definitley avoid that time to travel. I will look into the GS Central area. I don't mind being in the middle of it all...just didn't want a big crowd on the beach. I don't want to lose a kid in a sea of people :)

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,247 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Area to Stay for Family with young kids

You should take a look at The Beach Club and Martinique, both of which are perfect for families with young children. Both properties are gated and secure resorts with large stretches of private beach and multiple pools. The Beach Club is the larger of the two and also has 3 on-site restaurants. They are both located in a section of Gulf Shores that is approximately 11 miles from the downtown. This works out well for families because while it only takes about 13 to 14 minutes to get downtown, most of the partying crowd prefer to be closer to the T and not on this beach. Take a look at the pictures and reviews of the resorts on this website.

Martin, Tennessee
Level Contributor
27 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Area to Stay for Family with young kids

I live in the Mobile area. My family goes to Dauphin Island every year. We love it. It is quiet. There is a ferry you can take the Gulf Shores if you would like. There are not many restaurants...which is fine with us. It is significantly cheaper than Gulf shores/ Orange Beach. There are several condos (we like Dauphin Island Beach Club). Go check them out! Enjoy your time on the coast!!

Houston
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Area to Stay for Family with young kids

similar question only we are looking for a 1 day road trip stop in the area late July so the kids can play in "blue water" vs the yucky Galveston bay local to us. Any good hotels to recommend? Above is mostly condos it sounds like. Also, where is it consistently "blue water" or do I need to go farther to Flordia for that? Thanks.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Area to Stay for Family with young kids

Perdido Beach Resort is nice. There's also a nice Best Western in GS with indoor pool.

Perdido Beach Resort @ 27200 Perdido Beach Boulevard, Orange Beach, AL 251 - 981 - 9811.

http://www.perdidobeachresort.com/

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
11 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Area to Stay for Family with young kids

I would recommend Perdido Beach Resort. Its far enough away from the Hangout Music Festival and has everything your looking for. It has a a few restaurants on property: Pizzaria, Casual Dining, Fine Dining, Ice Cream, Room Service...etc. It also has a large pool and is a beach front property. Its located directly across the street from San Roc Cay, which has shopping and restaurants. It is a hotel, not a condo...so there are no kitchens in the rooms.

Edited: 25 August 2012, 17:39
Gulf Shores, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
516 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Area to Stay for Family with young kids

West Beach between the "T" and the end of beach road to the west has several beachside condos with pools and the condos aren't so intimidating that you have to read a map. That area is not as packed as the condo strips to the east of the "T". It is convenient for just about everything and you have a backroad access to Hwy 59 that will miss all of the Hangout Fest traffic.