We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Keeping a canopy out on beach overnight in Orange Beach?

Little Rock, AR
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
Keeping a canopy out on beach overnight in Orange Beach?

Sorry to ask this question--I know it gets asked a lot but I'm having trouble finding the answer when looking through old posts.

Can we keep our canopy out overnight while in Orange Beach (lowered, of course)?

We have stayed in Perdido Key the past 2 summers and were allowed to do that there as long as we kept our canopy behind the "blue" lounge chairs. It's been several years since we were in Orange Beach and we did leave the canopy and our beach chairs out back then. I'm not sure if things have changed since then and need to find out now before I make my husband drag that thing along. Thanks!

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Keeping a canopy out on beach overnight in Orange Beach?

cityoforangebeach.com/pages/…beach_law.htm

'must be removed daily"

Wisconsin Dells...
Level Contributor
70 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Keeping a canopy out on beach overnight in Orange Beach?

I was there in April and saw several canopies left over night with chairs. They usually lowered the canopies at night like you said. Enjoy!

Little Rock, AR
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Keeping a canopy out on beach overnight in Orange Beach?

Felschurch, thanks for the link. Darn--that's not what I wanted to find out!

Peace, I'm guessing from what you saw in April, the regs were not being enforced? Of course, things may be more strict in the summer when more people are on the beach. I'm feeling stumped about what to do.

Thank you both.

US
Level Contributor
463 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Keeping a canopy out on beach overnight in Orange Beach?

We were just in Orange Beach and they are left out nightly.

Little Rock, AR
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Keeping a canopy out on beach overnight in Orange Beach?

nane3, thanks for letting me know!

Alabama
Level Contributor
703 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Keeping a canopy out on beach overnight in Orange Beach?

In the past, that rule has not been strictly enforced....at least not near our condo at SeaChase. We always see lowered canopies left out at night. They are behind the rental chairs, though.

Little Rock, AR
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Keeping a canopy out on beach overnight in Orange Beach?

Thanks for replying, Cancun! Whenever we've gone in the past, whether it was Perdido, OB, or Ft. Morgan, we left the canopy out at night, lowered, and had our chairs and beach toys underneath it. It made it so convenient for getting out on the beach each morning. It's no fun lugging all that stuff two times/daily.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Keeping a canopy out on beach overnight in Orange Beach?

Is this still what many families do at this time. We are staying early June at Summer House condos. Is the beach considered public? Thinking about buying chairs at Wal-Mart when we arrive...

Mary

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Keeping a canopy out on beach overnight in Orange Beach?

Yes the beach is public..up to mean high tide line. As I understand it, this is roughly the fifty ft line referred to in the law. So you can be law abiding by simply keeping the tent overnight fifty feet from the water. This is why you choose a condo with a wide beach

Little Rock, AR
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Keeping a canopy out on beach overnight in Orange Beach?

We kept our canopy out all week last summer (Aug 2013) & had no issues. We did keep it back far enough from the water & also behind those rental chairs & umbrellas that are put out all over the beach. We would move our beach chairs & a small umbrella closer to the water when we wanted to & then just return them to our canopy later.

Buying those things at Walmart is a good idea if you don't want to bring them down yourself (or can't). They are cheap(chairs & small umbrellas).