We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phoenix West 2

Which Orange Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
DuQuoin, Illinois
12 posts
Save Topic
Phoenix West 2

Has anybody stayed at the Phoenix West 2 yet? We have reservations coming up. It looks fabulous but you never know! Supposed to be brand new.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,222 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phoenix West 2

It is brand new and is fabulous. All condos are individually owned so pick the one that is furnished to your taste. Friends of ours stayed there recently and loved it!

DuQuoin, Illinois
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Phoenix West 2

Thank you! We are so excited about it but it is so new we haven't found any reviews! The only thing I am not comfortable with is having to send a check in advance for the entire amount! My sister asked "how do you know it's not a con artist just taking your money"? Is there any way to make sure my reservation is legit?

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,222 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phoenix West 2

You have to be careful. If using VRBO call the owner directly and ask questions to make sure you are comfortable. Confirm that the number you are calling is in the location where the owner claims to be from. If you feel uncomfortable, pick a different condo in the building as there are many to choose from, or simply rent one from Brett-Robinson (the company that manages the complex) or another established management company in the area.

DuQuoin, Illinois
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Phoenix West 2

Thank you. The number listed for the owner on our condo is actually the "manager" or the owners assistant. That is what worries me.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,222 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phoenix West 2

It may still be the owner, but if it is a manager find out who it is and then verify the management company. Many owners that list on VRBO use local management companies and even if there is not a review on the condo there should be reviews and information on the management company. You can also ask them for references. Also, many rentals do not require full payment upfront unless you are only a few weeks out from arrival, so you may want to pick a different condo that has more lenient policies. Some owners and all management companies will let you pay with a credit card which can give you further protection. Bottom line is you need to feel comfortable with the rental process. Hope you have a great trip!

Edited: 13 March 2014, 15:13
DuQuoin, Illinois
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Phoenix West 2

Thank you. This management company is called SRML Properties and the Manager is Thomas Rizzo. Anybody booked with them in the past?

Henderson, Kentucky
Level Contributor
113 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Phoenix West 2

We just rented through VRBO for the first time as well, I was very nervous. I called the owner and did some research on the phone #, etc. and found her to be a very sweet lady (although sweet can still take your $...lol). I requested to pay through Home-Away and the owner sent me an email with the link attached. I feel much better about the situation now. Maybe you could ask about that payment source also. Hope you have a great experience.

DuQuoin, Illinois
12 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Phoenix West 2

Thank you - I guess it's nervewracking for everyone the first time. I did talk to the manager Mr. Rizzo and he seemed very nice and accomodating. I paid my cleaning deposit through PayPal, but Mr. Rizzo is requesting a check when I send the rental agreement back.

Henderson, Kentucky
Level Contributor
113 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Phoenix West 2

I would not send a check, I would change rentals

DuQuoin, Illinois
12 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Phoenix West 2

Thank you. We sent the check, but sent it certified. Received an email response today with the code to get into the condo. Fingers crossed!