We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malolo ..snorkling .. I am NOT "hendog"

Which Malolo Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Malolo ..snorkling .. I am NOT "hendog"

Hi ...I thought my question was answered but I see this "hendog " is not quite up to par here .

My wife and I have preety much settled on Malolo for a week March of 2009 ... a relaxeing week before heading home to Canada after 6 weeks in NZ and Aus.

We are not GREAT swimmers but loved snorkling last year in AUS

Does anyone know if the resorts supply the "foam rubber noodles" that one puts under chest to help float ...?Sort of a security blanket ...also would you recommend taking our own snorkle and mask ?

Thanks in Advance .

Marvie

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,813 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malolo ..snorkling .. I am NOT "hendog"

I don't think they supply then noodles and they would not be appropriate there I don't think. They do supply the snorkeling gear free and it was of good quality when we were there (over 2 years ago). I snorkeled right off the beach where our bure was. If the tide is low you can walk out most of the way and see pretty fish even without going deep.

One thing you must take though is coral shoes, or any shoes you can swim in. I found the flippers impossible to wear over coral and fell over in them whereas with coral shoes you can get out further, safely.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malolo ..snorkling .. I am NOT "hendog"

Thanks Scottygirl .... May I ask why you feel the "noodles" not appropriate ? Is it to do with tide or ?

Last year was our first snorkling expereince (land locked prairie folk in west canada ...lol)

We used them and found they gave us confidence to concentrate on the breathing and still not float out to sea .....Maybe there is something better and safer ?

Thanks again for advice and info

Marvie

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,813 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malolo ..snorkling .. I am NOT "hendog"

To be honest, I've just never seen anyone snorkel using a noodle - I'm sure if you had one it would be OK. I don't know if they have them there. I don't know if there is another alternative. I am not a great swimmer but find floating around pretty easy. There were no strong currents or anything dangerous like that. If you look at my photos (click on my name and the options for photos should be at the top) the beach shown with the two deck chairs is exactly where I went snorkeling. fantastic!

Bellevue, Washington
Level Contributor
86 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malolo ..snorkling .. I am NOT "hendog"

You might contact the resort and ask if they have any shorty wetsuits you could rent to snorkel in - you'd be amazed how much flotation you can get from neoprene and they might have those in support of divers. If not, you could buy snorkel life jackets and take with you. They fold very flat (would weigh almost nothing) and would be something you could take on future trips. An added bonus is that they're usually a flourescent orange or green/yellow so boats in the area can see you.

I have never seen foam noodles (or boogie boards, for that matter) provided at any of the resorts I've visited in Fiji.

Good luck!

Cindy

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malolo ..snorkling .. I am NOT "hendog"

Thanks again Scottygirl ....will further investigat once in NZ and AUS...And great pics there .

Thank you also Cindy ... the suits sound great as well.... maybe a bit warm ...willl lookinto the life jackets as well... not familiar ..as I mentioned there is not a lot of ares to snorkel in " Canadian prairies ".....

no matter ..we know Fiji we be awesome .

Thanks again

Marvie ( watching it snow )

Sydney
Level Contributor
488 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malolo ..snorkling .. I am NOT "hendog"

Hi Marvie (in the snow !! )

I'm not that great a swimmer but love snorkelling and what we do is take a kayak out as well and hold onto the edge of the kayak and that way, I can go a lot further and see a lot more.

Stay warm !!

Julie.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
426 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malolo ..snorkling .. I am NOT "hendog"

Hi Marvie - try contact the resort regarding life jackets as they should have them available for kayaking & Sailing. On our fist trip to Fiji our youngest was just 7 years old, we organised a life jacket throught the activities bure and he had a fantastic time snorkelling. The life jacket helped him to float along with us especially towards the end of a snorkelling session when he would start to get tired. Enjoy your trip. Jacqui

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malolo ..snorkling .. I am NOT "hendog"

Thanks agaain ....Jaqui and Julie ... good ideas.

Deb is feeling better after reading these posts as well as myself ..In Aus at Elliot Island there was a fair current ..maybe to dowith tide ...dont know .

-24 C at the moment at the farm ..Deb is Reg nurse practioneer contracting in the Canadian Arctic ... has been -45 C and lower for 10 days ....so is enjoying the planning of our 2009 trip .

Marvie ...

Victoria
Level Contributor
302 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Malolo ..snorkling .. I am NOT "hendog"

Take your own snorkle and mask - you can pick up a decent set for $25 if you hunt around - who wants to suck on someone else's snorkle, LOL.

The coral shoes / aquasocks are a great idea for protecting your feet - you don't really need to use flippers. And please be careful where you put your feet - I saw a few people standing all over live coral when I was in Fiji in December. :(

10. Re: Malolo ..snorkling .. I am NOT "hendog"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 11:18