We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cant decide Malolo or Castaway... What about both???

Wamberal, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Cant decide Malolo or Castaway... What about both???

Hi there Fiji experts...

I know this question has been asked before but ive added a twist.....

We will be going to Fiji in June to celebrate my 40th birthday..

Weve chosen Fiji as our destination as it seems to have the best kids clubs and we have a 2 yr old and a 3yr old.

We have a budget of around $10k and would like to go away for 10 or so days.

After months of reviewing and researching we have narrowed it down to Castaway and Malolo (yes we looked at JMC but have ruled it out).

Expectations are:

kids well looked after

some time out for us

good food

good beaches / snorkeling

lots of relaxing

not too many drunk aussies..

OK so we are about to book and im probably leaning towards Malolo but my husband suggested doing 5 or 6 days on each island.

I was wondering if you guys had any comments on doing this or are they too similar and we'd be better just choosing one and staying put??

Thanks in advance

Mentioned in this post
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cant decide Malolo or Castaway... What about both???

Purely my opinion, but I'd do both. The islands are fabulous but small, so for a bit of variety I think changing after 5-6 days would be great. We always stay 2 or 3 different places each time we go to Fiji.

Mentioned in this post
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
Sydney
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cant decide Malolo or Castaway... What about both???

I too would go to two different places in 10 days -- just not sure if I'd choose both Malolo and Castaway as they are so close to each other (you can kayak from one to the other, they're that close).

I'd suggest to either choose another island or just stay at the one i.e., Malolo or Castaway.

Have you looked at Vomo ?

I'm sure our Fiji experts will come in with their experience to offer other suggestions...

Mentioned in this post
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cant decide Malolo or Castaway... What about both???

Hi,

We have only stayed at Malolo. It was last November and we are booked to go again this year. Everything you have mentioned you get at Malolo but I am certain castaway would be the exactly the same. We did it the other way last time. Stayed on the main land for 6 nights and then Malolo for 5 so splitting your stay has good merit. I think what ever you choose you will be happy with.

Shan

Wamberal, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cant decide Malolo or Castaway... What about both???

Thanks guys for your responses so far.. So I think I'm sold on doing 2 islands and now been thinking about doing Malolo and maybe a Yasawa Island.. Does anyone know anything about Paradise Cove????

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
163 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cant decide Malolo or Castaway... What about both???

Personally I would try both Malolo and Castaway. We have only been to Castaway and loved it so much we keep going back. Wish I'd done a split stay first time then I would know which one I preferred for future visits. Now I'm so sold on Castaway that I can't imagine going elsewhere despite still being quite interested in going to Malolo one day.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,132 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cant decide Malolo or Castaway... What about both???

Agree with BaySydney - very similar style resorts that you can see from each other across a channel. If you REALLY want to split - do something entirely different. Similar standard to both in the Yasawas would be Vomo. We are going to Malolo in Oct but were tossing between Malolo, Paradise Cove & Vomo. In the end we decided Malolo had more to offer our 8yo than Vomo and PC was just too new. Castaway is considerably larger (have visited there on a daytrip and it does have a lot to offer - just not our style) Paradise Cove is quite new however if I were to pick a resort in the Yasawas - it appears to have everything to offer as does Blue Lagoon who recently added a swimming pool which was the only reason we hadn't booked it previously.

From many other posters feedback on TA - the general consensus is that Malolo is best for younger children whilst Castaway has more to offer older kids & teens. If you REALLY want to split your time, maybe consider between a mainland resort and an island.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cant decide Malolo or Castaway... What about both???

Melmaundy, if you split your stay between a mainland resort and an island resort, do the mainland first - not the other way round. Otherwise you could be very disappointed if you do an island first and then return to the mainland. The island resorts are so much nicer. We're doing a return trip to Malolo next month because we loved it so much last time! Enjoy your birthday celebrations!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cant decide Malolo or Castaway... What about both???

We've been to both and they are pretty similar (although Castaway is more expensive and rooms at Malolo are better quality). You could always do the Castaway Island - Outrigger on the Beach deal and get a helicopter from one to the other. Castaway owns Outrigger so they should be able to help you book both.

Incorporating the Yasawas would be great - however that would certainly blow the budget with a week at Castaway costing at least $7k depending on pax numbers. The seaplane to Yasawas would cost a bomb, but would be pretty amazing!

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
2,429 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cant decide Malolo or Castaway... What about both???

Both have been repaired and upgraded after sustaining damage from Cyclone Evan. Had a day trip to Castaway in May because work was still being carried out on Malolo and I got to say I was impressed, it really did look lovely.

I have added the internet address for the webcam on Castaway so you can check it out:

http://www.castawayfiji.com/webcam

Baz

Edited: 22 October 2013, 05:21
Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Cant decide Malolo or Castaway... What about both???

Having just spent time at Malolo, I would say Castaway has more soul. Malolo is very sterile but great for families with pre-school age children who want the services of nannies or kids club.

Get answers to your questions about Malolo Island