We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

November travel to Plantation?

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
November travel to Plantation?

Hi all

We are 2 families of 5 looking at traveling to Plantation Island near the end of November '09.

We stayed in Nov/Dec in '05 and found it nice and quiet at this time of the year, but are now wondering if we were just lucky? Has anyone else holidayed there in the last few years since, at this time of the year who also found it quiet?

We are hoping that most people wont be traveling then, rather that they will be holding off for the Xmas/NY period instead.

As it has been a while since we were there, does anyone have any thoughts or info regarding the space of the 2 B/R bures vs any of the newer rooms on the 200 side? I am speaking about those qrouped in 4 or 5 together - I dont know what they call them, but they are located down towards Lomani.

Or would you recommend booking a 2 B/R bure and paying the extra cost?

We would most definately prefer the 200 side as this is the nicer side of the resort....and would really prefer something with separate bedrooms as the kids are all older now and I simply cant stand their mess!! ;0)

Thanks in advance...

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,311 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: November travel to Plantation?

November is a slow month. The weather is getting too hot and potentially wet. I like a less crowded environment too, actually probably more than most but I can't travel to Fiji that time of year and really don't know that I would want to.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: November travel to Plantation?

Thanks Pub

The weather suits us at that time of the year...as we live in the sub-tropics of Queensland, Australia we are used to the heat and humidity that the islands can throw at you.

We went to Treasure in March for our wedding and although it was hotter than we were used to we loved it. So Nov/Dec for us is perfect! :)

Cheers

Port Macquarie
Level Contributor
261 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: November travel to Plantation?

Hi cricket,

We left the island early nov & things were slowing down bigtime.

Those units you are mentioning are right at the gates to Lomani, our freinds were in them & they asked to be moved as it is a long way to bar / resturant. Granmadeb also stayed in them & they didn't seem to mind.

I'de pay the extra cost & get closer to the action.

Cheers

Don

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: November travel to Plantation?

Thanks Firsttime47

Great to see you enjoyed yourselves. We arent worried about the long walk to and from the Restaurant/bar etc. Will give us time to work off all that food and alcohol. :0)

Anybody else have comments. Would love to hear from Granmadeb with her insight??

Adelaide
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: November travel to Plantation?

Hi Cricket,

I too love the hot, no matter whats thrown at you.

We just went in mid October with 3 boys, oldest 10 and stayed in 222 at garden Bure. One bedroom is King, the other a twin and in the middle can very easily be 2 more singles which leaves you with a sofa at the other end. We put all the kids junk in the twin by day.

I didn't like the location of the newer rooms as too far away. 222 was so close to the water 30 steps but still very quiet but close enough if you want to dash back for stuff. The bathroom was huge with double vanity.

Cheers

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: November travel to Plantation?

Thanks Sunlover...sounds like we will stick with the 2 bedroom bure.

Would I be right in assuming that they are A/C friends/family that might be traveling from NZ are a little concerned... :0)

Cheers

Port Macquarie
Level Contributor
261 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: November travel to Plantation?

You might have to send grandmadeb a personal email, she seems to have dropped off the site. Or to busy with the grandkids for xmas.

What a top grandma :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: November travel to Plantation?

Hi, we spent the first eight days of December on Plantation. We found it very hot/humid, but as you say your used to that so that shouldn't be a problem. The resort, I was told was at 38% capacity so that was good except for the "Schoolies". A large group of them. I have nothing against teenagers/young adults we had two in our group but en mass they can be a problem. Particularly at night, the management were very good and moved us away from them.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: November travel to Plantation?

Hmmmm.... I hadn't thought of schoolies that late in the year.

It definitely gives pause for thought, so thanks for letting me know.

I have teens of my own, but not sure I really want to be over run with them... lol I know what they can be like at the best of times.

Cheers

Fiji
Level Contributor
469 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: November travel to Plantation?

the resort is actually completely booked out for three weeks from mid november to first week of Dec for schoolies. I find early november to be not too hot. All the rooms are air-conditioned now, so you won't have to worry. From mid-october till after christmas it quietens down a lot.

Get answers to your questions about Malolo Lailai Island