We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 weeks in Fiji with 2 kids help!?

Which Malolo Lailai Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
2 weeks in Fiji with 2 kids help!?

Hi All out there who know all about Fiji. We've never been but know exactly what we want!..hopefully someone can point us in the right direction:

2 weeks holiday with 1 week mainland then 1 week island (perhaps??) We have 2 kids (4 & 6) and don;t want to share a room with them.

5 star if possible, definately 2 bedroom ( I think this might very much narrow the field), great kids club, pref white beaches and no bug infestation problems. Would like to spend less than $400 (australian) per night if possible & we'll be travelling mid september just before Australian school holidays.

If you've been there & done it please let me know! Thanks Michelle

Hervey Bay...
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 weeks in Fiji with 2 kids help!?

Hi there

You can try this website which should help you narrow things done a bit. www.fiji.pacific-resorts.com/index.html Please note the prices are in Fijian $$. :)

There are some really good specials at the moment. Another good site to try for immediate pricings is www.travelonline.com (Brisbane based).

You should have no trouble finding somewhere for $400 a night.

Good luck!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
178 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 weeks in Fiji with 2 kids help!?

Hi Michelle,

when i first went to fiji with my parents we did one week on an island (Musket cove) and one week on the mainland (the Fijian). Its a nice way to see two places and deside which you like better (mainland or islands) as they are very different. (we did the week on the island first, loved it so much that for most visits since have done more island stays)

Wanting 2 bedrooms will limit your options, although most resorts offer family rooms with two rooms.

i found this website that might be worth a look http://www.fiji4families.com/ and maybe this one http://www.fiji-vacations.com.au/family/

You should definatly be able to fine accomidation within that price range, and there are lots of deals and specials out at the moment, and the Fijian dollar has dropped a bit.

Off the top of my head, for the islands Castaway, Mana, Malolo have good names in kids clubs.

You might not get the 5star like in Aust, most island resorts are 3-4star.

There is lots of places to stay, try to look through the info on any that take your fancy, see if they offer the 2 rooms you want and go from there. We can always help to narrow your choices down further if you've got a few your tossing up between.

Hopefully some help,

Kris

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
549 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 weeks in Fiji with 2 kids help!?

Tthe Fijian islands are heaps nicer than the mainland in terms of white sand beaches and great coral and fish for snorkelling.

Mamanuca Islands are good because they're close to Nadi airport. OK your criteria. As far as I know the only real 5 star places that allow kids are Vomo (in the Mamanucas) and Cousteau Resort on Savu Savu but they are way over $400 Aus a night. So a step down from there:

Castaway is good quality - you get a screened room and kids sleep in the lounge. There is a family bure you may be able to access but again it might be over $400 Aus. Worth checking out though. We have been to Castaway twice - kids club is fantastic; main beach is really nice white sand and no bugs.

Other good options - Malolo (although beach is a bit corally) and Mana.

In terms of mainland - remember Fiji 5 star is not necessarily Aus 5 star. Outrigger gets pretty good reviews but none of the mainland places really have white sand beaches.

You will love Fiji - the people are wonderful and they love kids.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
549 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 weeks in Fiji with 2 kids help!?

Should clarify I meant 5 star island resorts - there are obviously heaps of mainland 5 star hotels that allow kids.

Bathurst, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Viti Levu, Treasure Island, Sonaisali Island, Nadi
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 weeks in Fiji with 2 kids help!?

i know sonaisali island resort which is a small boat just off the mainland 30 mins from airport has a great kids club you could get a family bure 2 rooms sep bathroom and lounge and a massive deck overlooking the ocean or you could get interconnecting hotel rooms also on the resort which would give you privacy! not the best beach though not a white sand one and most holiday makers prefer to use the pool and spa area. Just thought i would give you an extra option. as you mentioned anything 2 bedroom will narrow the field a bit take a look they have a website. it would also be a good idea as you mentioned to spend 1 week islands and 1 week mainland you would have a super trip then and the children would love it! have you had a look at the new intercontinental resort at natadola beach it is mainland brand new just opened not sure if they have the accom that you are looking for but the beach there is the best! all the best with your selection!

Fiji
Level Contributor
469 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 weeks in Fiji with 2 kids help!?

If you want 5 star on the mainland, I would definitely try out the new intercontinental. They have really good opening specials, but you will have to book before July. Unfortunately the standard rooms are quite small, but the suites have a separate lounge that the kids could sleep in.

For the islands, you might enjoy Castaway's feel - not "5 star" but definitely personalised service. You might also like Malolo resort. Again, not 5 star but intimate and great food. I would also highly recommend both resorts' kids clubs.

Gosford, Australia
Level Contributor
500 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 weeks in Fiji with 2 kids help!?

Have stayed in many different areas of the islands & there are lots of great places tucked away.

You will find some of the hotels are not vey Fijian though. We walked into a big chain $$$$ hotel one afternoon just to check it out & they were playing bingo in the foyer! You can do that at home We felt the hotel could have been on the Gold Coast!

Another good option for the mainland could be the Naviti Resort on the Coral Coast. Definately a good family resort and has definately got more of a white beach than Sonaisali.

We found Sonaisali Beach was like standing in thick mud that you sank into but the water was still cooler than the pool water as there was no shade over the pool.

At Sonaisali we had a bure with private spa on verandah, no single beds only large double beds & kids were in same room with us.

The Naviti is very traditional Fiji which is great for kids. It also offers good meal packages which includes local alcohol and soft drinks. There is definately lots of day-trip options from this part of the island

Haven't stayed at the Naviti but have recommended it to others with children & they have all found it great & have made return visits.

You will find that for five star you will need to spend more than you're budgetting but hope this helps

Gosford, Australia
Level Contributor
500 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 weeks in Fiji with 2 kids help!?

In regards to an Island stay I can recommend-

Musket Cove on Malolo Lai Lai Island

Malolo Island Resort on Malolo Island (used to be Club Naitasi)

Castaway Island Resort

Treasure Island

Mana Island

You would need to check out the accomodations for these as they do differ.

They are all quite close to Nadi for transfers.

There are other island resorts around some of them are not child friendly.

Beachcomber Island is pretty only suited to older families with teenagers & backpackers.

Plantation Island can be pretty rowdy and crowded during holiday times as it has become quite inexpensive

Often kids clubs have more to offer in busier times.

I have also heard of a couple resorts that charge for kids even when they arent using it

Hope this helps some

9. Re: 2 weeks in Fiji with 2 kids help!?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Malolo Lailai Island