We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fiji day celebrations

sydney
Level Contributor
23 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
fiji day celebrations

We will be on Plantation island on Oct 10th which is also Fiji Day and would like to know what kind of celebrations are held on the island, if any. Thanks for any info.

Bathurst, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Viti Levu, Treasure Island, Sonaisali Island, Nadi
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fiji day celebrations

You might be best dropping a quick email to Plantation to ask what if any celebrations they do. I will be on the mainland a week later for the Diwali festival of which the resort im staying at has special evening activity.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,908 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fiji day celebrations

Hi

Have never been at a resort where they have done anything special and we have been to Fiji a lot in October and on Fiji Day.. Were in Nadi one year for it and they had a street parade with floats etc. The most amazing thing was no one in the crowd clapped them just dead silence, quite bizarre compared to how we Aussies celebrate Australia Day. Do't know what will happen now with the present government situation.

Fiji
Level Contributor
469 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fiji day celebrations

I was at Plantation for Fiji day a few years back. They played a lot of beach games - rugby, kayaking contests, tug of war. It was all Fiji versus the rest of the world! At night all the staff got together and performed a meke and also did some funny skits. They also had a special lovo buffet held out on the beach that was lovely. I think there is an ocean swim out there around the 10th as well www.pacificswims.com

sydney
Level Contributor
23 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fiji day celebrations

Thanks for your reply. Sounds like a lot of fun on the day, looking forward to it. Cheers.

Newcastle, Australia
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: fiji day celebrations

My Family and I have been to Plantation Island 6 times and have already booked to go back for 2 weeks in January. We had the pleasure of being there for Fiji Day last October and in fact my husband was chosen by our friends (the staff) to be the official guest for the day. The staff will pick and ask one guest to be the official guest. This is a very special and important position to be in. Fiji day is a very special and important day to the fijian people. The day starts with the official welcoming ceremony which my husband had to sit in on. All the islands elders and chief were there,they had a kava ceremony and my husband had to say a prepared speech which was written by the staff. That out of the way the fun then begins. All the staff dress up and we had a fasion parade and lots of fun beach games including beach volleyball which the staff take very seriously, tug of war and canoe relays. My husband had to sit with the official party for lunch. Unfortunately my kids and i had to sit and watch from the beach as he ate a lovely 3 course meal.

At night they put on a traditional fiji dinner and then the staff put on a talent quest which they also take very seriously as the winners recieve money to go towards whatever they want. My husband and i were judges and my children got to perform a traditional dance with ritchie. My husband got to cut the cake which was decorated like the fiji flag. He was also presented with the traditional fiji flag that he got to raise earlier that morning which we keep with great honour.After all formalities were over it was lots of fun dancing late into the night with all the staff. This was absolutely the best day ever and one we will never forget. You will absolutely love fiji day.

sydney
Level Contributor
23 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: fiji day celebrations

thank you for your description of fiji day on plantation island. It sounds like a wonderful event for both staff and guests and I look forward to being there on the day.

7. Re: fiji day celebrations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Malolo Lailai Island