We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather In Fiji in June

Melbourne Vic
Level Contributor
178 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Weather In Fiji in June

Hi ,

We are going to Fiji in late June this yr and spending 6 nights at the Raddison on Denarau and 2 nights on Plantation ISland.

Can anyone tell me what the weather will be like in each place?

I have read a lot of reviews and they say that Insect repellant is a must????

Also d we need warmer clothing for nights??

Cheers

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,502 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather In Fiji in June

Will leave the questions about weather and clothing for others to answer.

In my opinion bug spray is a must take, if it it is not supplied by the resort. We always take it with us if it isn't. It will be expensive should you have to buy it in Fiji. Also suggest a small first aid kit: bandaids, anti-itch spray for bug bites, anti-septic cream for cuts, aspirin and any other over the counter medicine you think you might need.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather In Fiji in June

I have only stayed once in Fiji at this time of the year (at matamanoa island and the fijian) so I'm not sure if my experience was typical. however compared to the other times I have been (around nov-feb) it was noticibly cooler and we did find that we needed our warmer clothes in the evenings (not jumpers mind you - just not the usual singlets,sarong)

If memory serves me correctly it wasnt so much that the temperature was much lower than what it is during the hot rainy season it was more to do with the tradewinds that blow around this time of year.

the good thing is that there is much less rainfall and its a bit more quiet than the rainy holiday season and honestly its still very warm.

I agree with E&CinReno - repellant is a must at any time of the year. most of the time its not needed but every now and then you'll find yourself being eaten alive if you dont have repellent.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,974 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather In Fiji in June

Hi

June is a winter month in Fiji so it will be cooler temps around 25°C plus during the day and the evenings cooler. The water temp will be cooler too but still comfortable for swimming. Traditionally it is drier in the winter months, but who can tell. May and October are my favouirie months in Fiji. It should be beautiful warm days cool nights, perfect! Sun block and bug spray are musts whatever time of year you go. Most resorts spray the vegetation to inhibit mozzies breeding but the odd one can still bite. The weather between the two resorts will not vary too much the islands tend to be less humid and drier but that shouln't be a problem in June. Have a great holiday.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather In Fiji in June

June is a great time to go to Fiji.

It is not too hot and definately not cold. You will still be able to swim as the water temp is still warm. I would suggest taking a light jacket for night as sometimes the wind can be cool.

As for what to take, yes insect repellant is a must. I also take a medicine kit with me as I travel with a small child. It contains all of the things I have at home like childrens nurofen, panadol, band aids, antistamines etc.

A good 30+ sunscreen is a must. Sunscreen is quite expensive in Fiji, especially on the islands.

Beerwalk :)

Melbourne Vic
Level Contributor
178 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather In Fiji in June

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I was a little unsure as to how hot it will be at that time of year as it is supposed to be a popular time to go.

Thanks again for the advise on the repellant and a first aid kit, i will definitely be packing it.

Just one last thing, has anybody been surfing around Fiji? If so where and what are the waves like? As it was mentioned that it will be winding perhaps there will be good surf??

Cheers

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather In Fiji in June

fyi - most of fiji is a left - not many rights

frigates passage is the best spot - it can be accessed by boat from pacific harbour but from denarau thats a long haul each day - about 2 hours by road to pacific harbour and then 2 1/2 hrs by boat to frigates. there really arent any beach breaks on the big island. I heard that there might be some waves at the sand dunes outside sigatoka but I cant vouch for that.

theres what appears to be a good interactive map of surf spots at the following site

wannasurf.com/spot/…index.html

you might try that

Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather In Fiji in June

Hi millie, my nephew went surfing when we stayed at Castaway island, the spot that he went to there were other people there who were staying at Plantation Island, so maybe email Plantation and ask about the surfing trip. Nephew said the waves were good but they had to be careful of the break over the reef, a bit dangerous....

Rene

8. Re: Weather In Fiji in June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 July 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Malolo Lailai Island