We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which resort is the pick on Malolo Lailai Island?

Which Malolo Lailai Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Aust
Level Contributor
135 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Which resort is the pick on Malolo Lailai Island?

Have read lots of reviews and naturally there will always be some negative comments but that aside they all sound so good.

We are still trying to organize a wedding, although we are not able to get the day we wish but we are still working through that one.

Any suggestions with ideas re food and prices expected to pay and activities to do daily and costs involved for those would be greatly appreciated.

As this is only a 8-9 night stay and we will be traveling afterwards for a month to Dubai/Egypt we need to take into account value for money, but not at the expense of a second rate holiday.

Loves:

white sand

crystal water

clean rooms

beautiful people

culture

<3 and a little romance

Wellington
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which resort is the pick on Malolo Lailai Island?

Lomani at malolo lai lai - Just come back from there and it is amazing - def fab choice for a wedding!! Adults only, stunning venue, food is amazing and staff wonderful - we looked around alot before booking here and were not disappointed!!

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which resort is the pick on Malolo Lailai Island?

I'd pick Musket Cove Resort, as there are lots of options. There is the chapel on top of the hill with the best sea views in all directions. Or on the beach at high tide. When my family and I stayed in April there was a wedding at the chapel, I wondered why they had not chosen a beach wedding. But walking up there I realised why. Wonderful views over the ocean.

They have great food, and saw the wedding reception set up next to the beach. The couple were so happy and all their family and friends loved it there. It's a resort which is much more private on Malolo Lai Lai. Try a Beach Bure or a Lagoon Bure, all very clean and well maintained. Or if you have a big budget stay at one of the private houses with their own pools, on the hilltop. May work out cheaper for many to stay in a house.

I know you will have the best time, congratulations.

It is reasonably priced, and the staff are very friendly.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,745 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which resort is the pick on Malolo Lailai Island?

Musket Cove is the best in my opinion. I prefer resorts with access to great snorkeling offshore so would not choose Malolo Lailai given the choice and prefer smaller island resorts with great beaches.

Victoria
Level Contributor
302 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which resort is the pick on Malolo Lailai Island?

The pity with Musket Cove is the huge mudflat that exists out the front at low tide. I know it's just a short (ish) walk to the beach at Plantation, but it's not much a vista for a few hours a day. I assume work on the lagoon wall they were building isn't finished yet - anyone know?

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which resort is the pick on Malolo Lailai Island?

I'd still go for Musket, as I mentioned there's many options. Check the tides, they change every 12 hours, even the tide levels, and funnily this happens in oceans all around the world.

Have the wedding on an incoming tide, or have it up in the chapel, it's lovely with fantastic views.

The tide doesn't go out as much near the Ratu Nemani Island Bar near the Marina, it good for snorkelling and beach activities most of the time. They also have private dining on the pier in front of the resort for romantic occasions. Go to their website to check it out www.musketcovefiji.com

We have a waterfront home so are used to the tide going out, so it never bothers us. And each day and night the low and high tide levels are different.

If tides bother you, perhaps look at another island, rather than Malolo Lai Lai, where there isn't a lagoon. Guess it depends on what you want to pay. But one recommendation don't go to Plantation as someone suggested trying, because of the beach. Not ideal for a wedding.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
99 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which resort is the pick on Malolo Lailai Island?

There is a sand bar at low tide a minute boat trip from the island and you can get married on it at low tide...it is magic! My pick for the resorts is definately Lomoni for the quietness and romance. Plantation is a busy family resort with heaps of kids and not really romantic.

Sydney
Level Contributor
112 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which resort is the pick on Malolo Lailai Island?

Musket Cove by far. It has so many things you can do, is quiet and beautiful and yup, the tides do go out but you kind of get into the rhythmn of watching them come in and waiting for the water to reappear. We love Musket Cove and did an Island Hopper to see some of the other islands including Castaway (nice but lots of kids), Treasure (not in a million years), Beachcomber (contiki on a beach instead of a bus!) and Malolo (very, very nice but possibly a bit limited and isolated). We just loved Musket Cove and absolutely agree with the post above - the sandbar at low tide is picture postcard perfect for a wedding!!!! Good luck!

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which resort is the pick on Malolo Lailai Island?

Hi Boyos,

Did you end up staying in the villa at Musket? I answered your question re villas back in May!!

I love Musket so much going back in less than 3 weeks time.

This time I'm doing more walking, staying longer, and checking out the beaches around the other side of the island near the private houses, beach is supposed to be great there.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
548 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which resort is the pick on Malolo Lailai Island?

My vote is also for Musket Cove Resort - the chapel is beautiful and there is a full range of accommodation that would suit all your guests from motel style rooms, garden and beachfront bures, the Armstrong 2 bedroom villas and private luxury homes also available.

10. Re: Which resort is the pick on Malolo Lailai Island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2011, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Malolo Lailai Island