We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I take a portacot?

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Should I take a portacot?

Hi there,

We are going to Plantation island in a couple of weeks for my husbands surprise 40th birthday holiday and just wondering if I should take our portacot or not? I don't really want to as it's a pain to haul around but my 2.5 year old is tall and heavy and I'm a bit concerned that if they supply the cot for us the mattress won't be thick enough (we had this problem when we went to Italy last year, they only supplied those portacot mattresses that are as hard as planks and we had to keep finding blankets and things to try and cushion the cot for her and she hardly slept the whole trip, nightmare!!).

any thoughts/advice would be much appreciated :)

Christchurch...
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I take a portacot?

Could you move her to a bed? I have 4 children and all quite tall/heavy (my third is 2 years 2 months) and hes been in a bed for about 3 months because most cots aren't designed for big children. You can get rails that go on the side of beds to stop her rolling out. That would be my suggestion, although I appreciate moves are difficult but having a holiday may be the time to transition her to a bed.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,061 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I take a portacot?

At that age your child is quite able to sleep in a bed. If you want to punish yourself on holidays - take the portacot. If not, It's a great opportunity to get her in a bed. We did it with ours when he was 2. Never went back to the cot. If they can climb out of it, they don't need to be in it.

Dunedin
Destination Expert
for Mana Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I take a portacot?

A tip for parents with toddlers in Fiji - good idea to take a fold-up stroller for 'getting around'. You may be accommodated in a bure which is quite a walk from the main restaurant and other amenities. Plantation has plenty of concrete paths around the resort - better than carrying all the time if the little ones get tired of walking long distances. You will pick one up at a garage sale cheaply, then when you depart, leave it with one of the local staff to use.

Wamberal, Australia
Level Contributor
61 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I take a portacot?

We used a cot at Plantation a few years ago now but it was fine. No problems at all.

5. Re: Should I take a portacot?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Malolo Lailai Island