We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malolo island timeshare

Which Malolo Lailai Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
5 posts
Save Topic
Malolo island timeshare

Can anyone give me any tips. What you need, how much cash for 7 days? Where to eat, breakfast types? Excursions? Anything would be appreciated!

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,308 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malolo island timeshare

Have a look at the following for what to take with you.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294331-c134773/Fiji:…

Waitakere City, New...
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,544 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malolo island timeshare

Hi Sue D, welcome to the forums. When are you going and how many of you? What ages, as in do you have children traveling with you? Hubby and I stayed in the Timeshares last March and I can't wait to go back, loved it!

Let me know some more details and I'll happily fill you in.

5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Malolo island timeshare

Thanks. We are going 12th oct, my partner and a friend. No kids. No idea how much cash to take. Where to eat. Do we need to take beach towels. Any info gratefully appreciated

Waitakere City, New...
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,544 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malolo island timeshare

Are you in a two bedroom or a one bedroom Sue?

You don't need to take beach towels, everyone else seemed to have the same beach towels so I presume they were issued bu Musket Cove but we take our own micro fiber towels so didn't bother to get theirs.

Everything was chargeable to your bure (beach hut) when we were there, even down to an ice-cream from the store if so desired but I would still take some cash. Smaller amounts could be handy if you want to go on the village visit or you might want to have dinner at Lomani Resort or buy something from Plantation Resort (Plantation has some extra water sports such as para-sailing if that's your thing). We self catered apart from a couple of meals at the Trader Cafe (that burnt down the week after we were there but I think their new one is up and running or at least something temporary). There is also the resort restaurant, it's a five minute walk from the timeshares to the resort. Buy a 'white card' when you arrive (Fj$35 in March) for each person if you want to go out snorkeling (two trips a day, gear supplied or take your own if you prefer) or use the kayaks etc (bikes are extra to hire I think).

Probably easier to do breakfast at your bure, they have a two burner gas cooker with a small grill, toaster, large fridge/freezer (we had ice cube trays in ours - very handy for the duytfree!), plenty of plates, bowls, cutlery etc. Its fine to take some food with you if you'd like, cereal for example is expensive in Fiji so if you have a favourite take it and just declare it to customs (same goes with tea, coffee etc). Bread is available from the store.

The bures are serviced prior to your arrival and then again on Tuesday apart from that you'll also have one of the lovely Fijian ladies coming to your bure each morning to fill up your water drinking bottles (the tap water is not for drinking) and empty your bin.

The cove right out front is lovely for swimming in when the tide is mid to half high (low tide the water goes all the way out but there is small pool beside the timeshares and a much larger one in front of the resort you can use).

Take insect repellent (we went through a bottle in one week, you need it at sundown). Speaking of sundown the sunsets right in front of the timeshares are spectacular!! Same deal with sunblock, you will need it.

There are cats, do not leave anything on your bench unattended they are terrible thieves given any opportunity. Bring your gear in at night, we all want to be trusting but leaving things lying around on your patio is just creating temptation.

There are overhead fans but no AC, it can get hot but we had a nice breeze most of the time.

I'll just post this for now, any other questions just ask. We have posters here who go to the timeshares every year so hopefully they'll add their posts with more info.

5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Malolo island timeshare

Hi Dianz,

Thankyou that's very helpful. My partner has a full cooked breaky so will probably try and find out about that.

Did you take detergent, washing powder? Oh and do they give you enough toilet paper?

Also people mention taking snacks from home, we are in Australia do you know what you can take? Like cashews, dried fruit?

Love snorkelling, any tips on best snorkelling spots to go?

Thanks again, sue

Waitakere City, New...
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,544 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malolo island timeshare

I'm sure you can do the full breakfast at Musket Cove (have you had a read of their reviews to get some insight, all their facilities are available for the timeshare people).

I took washing powder (those small sample bags you get given from time to time) and hand washed a few things that we needed. There are washing lines but one woman left her stuff out overnight and had a t-shirt go missing. I just hung things either over the patio rails or in the bathroom. Stuff dries quickly in the tropics anyway.

Tuck a spare roll of toilet paper in a corner of your suitcase and keep it for back-up. There should be some when you get there and you can purchase more from the store.

There's a wide range of things you can take from home but to make it easier a few of the "no's" include raw nuts (processed are okay), meat (tinned fish is fine), no fresh fruit or vegies (I'm unsure on the dried fruit, maybe others have taken it and can let you know), dairy products (although a lot of our regulars say they take vacume packed cheese - what I think you call crisovaced) but not the soft cheeses such as brie etc. I dislike the cheese in Fiji that I've tried so far so will try taking my own next time. Honey is a definite no. Oh, and they have issues with chicken, even chicken flavoured noodles - weird but true. Just declare everything (make a list to give them, makes life easier) and pack it all in one area. Probably best to pack ion your checked luggage too because even things like vegemite are considered a 'paste' and will likely get taken off you if it's in your hand luggage.

There are two snorkeling trips per day but I'm not really a snorkeler unless the marine life is obliging enough to be with a few meters of shore. Hubby went and got some good pics, don't expect great things from the coral but the fish appear to be plentiful and colourful. You really need to go on the trips, the area in front of the time shares (and musket cove for that matter) is really just for swimming and kayaking from mid to high tide.

We were told not to expect coffee, tea, salt, pepper etc so I took all that but it was all there. I have no idea if this is the norm but you can always purchase from the shop if need be (just expect to pay a bit more given that you're on an island where there is no real competition). If you have a day spare before heading to the island you might want to hit the markets for some fresh fruit and veg and there is a butcher located on the road out to Denarau (our flight was delayed so I had no time for these options but plan to go a couple of days early next time to allow time to stock up).

I think you'll enjoy it. If you're in a one bedroom you might be beach front, if in a two bedroom you'll probably be in the row behind. The one bedrooms are 1 x kingbed, 1 x single (these are in the same area) and their is a sofa bed in the little 'lounge' area which is separated from the king bed by a partial partition. The bures are actually quite spacious and the bathroom is disproportionately huge (with a ridiculous, tiny shower). One thing to note is that the wall between the bathroom and the rest of the bure does not go all the way to the ceiling (typical of Fiji bures) so... not a lot is left to the imagination when one is doing what nature demands. ;-)

5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Malolo island timeshare

Hi Dianz.you have been a great help. I am a really organized type person and the thought of going to the unknown. Although exciting is a bit daunting.

We have a 1 bedroom. We are staying in port denaru the night before. Arrive about 3.30pm so hopefully can get to shops.

Thankyou for your tips they are greatly appreciated!

Waitakere City, New...
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,544 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malolo island timeshare

No probs, hopefully you're feeling a bit less of "heading into the unknown" now. Wish we were heading back... later next year hopefully! Shouldn't be greedy though, we're booked for Paradise Cove (Yasawas) at the end of March. :)

5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Malolo island timeshare

Which island is paradise cove. We have been to blue lagoon resort and that was heaven! Totally loved it there. That's right at the top of the yasawas, about 5 hours by boat. Will definately go back there again.

10. Re: Malolo island timeshare

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2014, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Malolo Lailai Island