We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather Tracking

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Weather Tracking

What is the best way to track the weather for our upcoming trip? We will be there in 3 weeks.

Thanks!

Amanda

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,022 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather Tracking

If you Google - 10 day weather forecast for Fiji - you will find many sites offering this service. You can also check the weather cams on Plantation and Castaway islands for a daily check. Hopefully the weather will be more settled toward the end of March as the wet season comes to an end.

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,525 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather Tracking

We use Fiji Meteorological Service

http://www.met.gov.fj

and for satellite pictures Infrared colorized Image loop

…noaa.gov/sohemi/sohemiloops/shirgmscol.html

Waitakere City, New...
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather Tracking

I just typed in 'fiji long range forecast' and found two yesterday that do a 14 day forecast. The one that had the better weather prediction for the start of my upcoming holiday was by far the superior one! LOL

Other than that I'm seriously addicted to the web cams. Lomani has one too, it does a kind of day long time lapse thing which is interesting to get an idea of changes throughout the day. No matter what though the weather will be what it will be, nothing much we can do about it.

Which resort are you staying in Amanda?

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather Tracking

Thank your for all your info! We are staying at Lomani. Hopefully we get decent weather, its a long way from home for us!!!

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather Tracking

Lomani :) Any tips or suggestions?

Waitakere City, New...
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather Tracking

Lomani is on the island of Malolo Lailai which is a large(ish) island by Fijian island resort standards. You'll find two other resorts on the island - Plantation Island Resort (very popular with families with young kids) and Musket Cove Resort (more middle of the board guest wise). Both resorts have restaurants and bars your'e welcome to use. There is also another restaurant called Anandas if you're interested in trying it out. Lomani is thought to have the best restaurant on the island though so you may just want to stick to eating there, especially if you're on their meal plan.

Things to do. Definitely go on their snorkeling trips, same with handline fishing and a village visit (if those things interest you). Take smaller denominations of cash if visiting a village, they find it almost impossible to offer change for a $50 or even a $20. Show respect while in the village by covering your knees and shoulders (a sarong is fine to wear as a skirt) and remove hats and sunglasses while there. If you go fishing and catch something ask the chef to cook it for you dinner, they'll likely do it and it will (obviously) be The Most Delicious thing you've ever eaten!! (Take pics to show off to all your friends when you get home). Just a heads up... you may find service a bit slow especially in comparison to the States. There is nothing to be done about this, it's the island way and you'll get what you ordered (hopefully) in the end. Best to just relax and go with the flow.

Other stuff. There's a nine hole golf course on the island (I don't play but it might be a bit of fun). Grab a bike and go explore, plenty of walking trails and paths around. Take some cash with you and make a pit stop out at the 'island bar' located at the end of the jetty at Musket Cove. Cheap drinks, laid back atmospher and BBQ's if you want to cook for yourselves for a night. Speaking of which - Thursday night is 'pig on a spit' night at Musket Cove, could be worth booking for.

And what else? TV's have no working signal, they're for playing DVD's only and don't drink the tap water, it's fine for showering etc but not of drinkable standard. They will provide drinking water or you can buy bottled.

Have a great time! I'm sure that the weather will be at it's most obliging for both our holidays. :)

Waitakere City, New...
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather Tracking

PS - I see that you're also coming to NZ as part of your holiday and going wine tasting on Waiheke. Waiheke is our favourite "getting overseas without leaving the country" destination to the point that every trip to Fiji has a "Why don't we go back to Waiheke instead" moment attached to it.

~ Enjoy, very lovely and unique place with gorgeous beaches.

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather Tracking

That is all wonderful information!!! We definitely want to snorkel/fish/explore the island. My husband loves golf so I will definitely let him know. Thank you for sending! Have a lovely holiday :)

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,525 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather Tracking

Coming from the states you will need an adapter angled for Australia for charging camera, laptop batteries, etc. We also take a power converter and small power strip for charging more than one battery at the same time.

Recommend purchasing alcohol at the duty free shop at the airport in Nadi for having drinks in your bure. Resorts will not allow you to take your own drinks into the dining room. We can't purchase our brand of choice in Fiji, so take the amount allowed by customs in our checked bags.

We exchange money for buying souvenirs at a village/school and other incidentals, at the Western Union office near the baggage claim area at the airport in Nadi. Much better rate than at LAX.

Tipping is discouraged in Fiji. That said, resorts have a Christmas fund you can contribute to should you chose. The money collected during the divided between all the staff. Just mention on checkout that you would like to make a donation.

Am your you will have a wonderful time at Lomani.

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather Tracking

Leaving tomorrow, and Im glad I took another look at the post! We are so excited about Waiheke Island Dianz! Our travel planner didnt recommend it originally but after seeing the gorgeous pictures we had to squeeze it in.

Thanks E&CinReno... didnt think of a power strip! And I saw their wine list was pretty small so we will definitley pick some up at duty free.

Get answers to your questions about Malolo Lailai Island