We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Remaining questions

Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Remaining questions

We will be travelling from the U.S. at the end of June. We are staying in a private Villa (Horizons) and using Musket Cove Facilities. I've poured through the info on TA but have a few last minute questions:

1. Is there somewhere on the resort or island where we can buy beach towels and sand toys (shovel/spade, bucket, etc)? We don't want to have to pack those items if we don't have to!

2. We are planning a village tour and want to bring items for the kids. I've read small toys and/or school supplies are best. Does anyone know how many kids are at the school or how many kids I should bring items for? Also, any suggestions on what's needed/wanted most is helpful.

3. I know MCR has a small market (the Trader?) to buy grocery items. I understand PIR also has a market (Anandas?). Is one better stocked than the other or better for other reasons?

4. We are flying to NZ after leaving Fiji. My husband/daughters are traveling on US and NZ passports. Are there any pros/cons to entering Fiji as a NZ or US citizen? Do we have to go through "exit" customs/immigration when leaving Fiji?

Any other tips would be appreciated.

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,667 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Remaining questions

It may not be feasible to bring something for each child. Some villages can be quite large, and have a 100 or more children. Keep in mind, other people will also probably be bringing gifts. You might contact Musket Cove for the number of children, and if they need anything specific.

We have taken rulers, erasers, crayons,pencil sharpeners, pencils, clothes, toothbrushes, books. For fun: yo yo's jump ropes, frisbies, and postcards of where we live. The children really enjoyed seeing another part of the world. Please don't take candy as diabetes is on the rise in Fiji, and dental care hard to come by especially on the outer islands.

Coming from the states, you will need an adapter angled for Australia for charging camera/laptop batteries. We also take a power converter, and small power strip for charging more than one battery at the same time.

For other suggestions of what to take when visiting a village/school, and other items to take with you:

You will have to go through customs/immigration when leaving Fiji. Very easy to enter Fiji on a US passport. Just present it and have it stamped. No pros or cons.

Other tips: Notify your bank/credit card the dates you will be gone, where you will be, and to expect charges. Will alleviate any problems on checkout should charges be questioned.

Hope this helps.

Edited: 02 June 2014, 23:02
Coomera, Australia
Level Contributor
259 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Remaining questions

I don't recall seeing any towels, bucket & spade sets, etc. at the shops on the island. But if you have time on the main island before you head out to ML, you should be able to find these things at the store in and around Nadi.

We use both shops. They each have their strengths and weaknesses. The Trader is generally well stocked for most day to day items. We find Ananda's better for fresh bread and rolls and also processed meats (ham, etc.). Try them both. The Trader was still being rebuilt on our last trip. We are hoping the new store, which should be open by now I expect, will be bigger and better.

Destrehan, Louisiana
Level Contributor
8 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Remaining questions

Having visited from the states, I recommend you bring unopened condiments (mayo, mustard, ketchup) peanut butter, canned tuna as these are either very expensive or of a different quality than we are used to in the states. Also bring coffee if you want to make your own (also expensive), they use a french press which was a totally new way to make coffee but we learned how to use it. Also, if you use a sugar substitute, bring that too as I only saw coarse cane or white sugar. Recommend buying any liquor at the airport on arrival as it is cheaper there with a better selection. Enjoy your stay - be sure to sign up for the snorkeling, best bargain on the island and treat yourself to the spa, the half day couples massage, facial, manicure and pedicure was very reasonable and sooooooo relaxing.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Remaining questions

There is something in the back of my mind telling be you could get towels from duty free stores on the way out of the airport.

The other thing you could do is shoot off a message to Musket Cove they have a lovely boutique that sells all sorts of stuff. They may have what you want, so ask.

Anyway have a great trip

5. Re: Remaining questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2015, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Malolo Lailai Island
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now