We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plantation Island Food??

Which Malolo Lailai Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Plantation Island Food??

Is it really that bad? Ive been reading the reviews on here and it seems it was a major issue for many.

I'm wondering who has been to the resort recently? Did you have a pre-paid food plan? Were you happy/disappointed with the food? What sort of meals were they? What was a typical buffet like?

We are going in October and have pre-purchased full board meal plans as part of a package, but am now starting to worry the food might have a major impact on our experience.

Auckland, Auckland...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Plantation Island Food??

We went this time last year. We are a family of 5 & went with our family memeber so 12 of us in total. We got the 1/2 board (I think it was called) we had b'fast & dinner. The kids loved the b'fast but by the end of 7 days they were more into fruit & cereal than the bacon & sausages. I took a plate of muffins, bread, etc & a plate of fruit back to our bure, they even wrapped them in tinfoil.

My husband got sick on about day 4 & all food & water went straight through him so he spent the rest of time in bed. It took him 2 weeks to recover when we got home & lots of test from our Dr. He lost 6kg by the time we got home.

I had a dodgy tummy for a day & so did another family member but nothing serious.

We bought some stuff for diarrhea from the shop but I would suggest to take some with you as it was expensive there.

My 7yr old vomited several times on our last night.

On the way back a flight attendant told us a 9yr old girl had been flown to hospital with a really bad tummy bug.

We think it was from salad. Hubby ate quite a bit of it. The kids ate none & for once I told them not to eat there veg lol.

We bought 2min noodles from the shop & some raro. Wish I had taken a few packets with me. My SIL took cans of coke to mix with her duty free, wish I had though of that as coke was not cheap.

You get your water bottles filled by them & ice as well so all good there. I used that water for teeth also.

Overall I really enjoyed the food & thought the plan was worth it..the kids loved it .

If you are in a bure take pegs as they have lines for you to hang your wet things.

We were in a small bure the first night & then moved the next day to a bigger one, The first one had those bug plug in things so I thought they were in all but no & I so wish I had taken some with me as the cockroaches were huge.

We had a fantastic time & if we go back we would do the same food plan, but would be more careful with what we ate.

Have a great trip.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Plantation Island Food??

Yes the food is not good.

We went some years ago now and had purchased the all inclusive and ended up eating all our evening meals at either Ananda's or Musket Cove.

We didn't get sick but we would not go back.

In relation to the water they tell not to ingest any water from the taps and they mean it. Don't even get any water in your mouth accidently when showering. They will provide you with drinking water and we purchased bottled water. We would let our kids only use the bottled water for drinking and cleaning their teeth.

We went some years ago, but have visited as a day tripper and nothing appears to have changed.

Sorry

Baz

Edited: 23 July 2014, 22:48
Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,588 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Plantation Island Food??

I was told if I couldn't say something nice don't! Having said large resorts tend towards buffet style meals and to me the quality suffers. If you wan to go there then don't buy the meal;s plan you can always eat lunch and dinner at Anandas or Musket Cove. Great location and kids love it but this big kid doesn't and won't go back.

Auckland, Auckland...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Plantation Island Food??

We had 1 meal at Anandas & hated it, the food was horrible & so was the restaurant. We were told we would get a discount as we had paid for meal plan but ended up having to pay pretty much full price, such a waste of money. Food at plantation Island was 5* compared to that.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,588 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Plantation Island Food??

That is a shame Anandas used to be great and very popular.This is what this site is for our opinions so we can make informed decisions.

Auckland, Auckland...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Plantation Island Food??

exactly & as I said I liked the food at Plantation Island & thought the meal plan we got was great & I would do the same again if we went back there.

Of course everyone has different experiences & I read a lot of reviews & asked questions before I went but kept an open mind.

When were you last at Plantation Island?

Edited: 24 July 2014, 01:08
Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Plantation Island Food??

jazstarz your husband got pretty sick and lost 6kgs, your son vomited several times on your last night, you then ate 2 min noodles yet you still think the foods good !!! I'm sorry but I'd never want to step foot back on the place and if I did I'd be eating elsewhere......

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Plantation Island Food??

Yes its really that bad

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Plantation Island Food??

Thanks for your helpful reply jazstarz. Are you able to tell me what sort of options were on the menu and what items were in the buffet?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
734 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Plantation Island Food??

Hubby and I stayed at Plantation, September 2013. We had the 1/2 board (breaky and dinner). We thought the food was o.k.. Buffet dinner is a themed style each night. The Mongolian bbq night was the best. You choose your ingredients and the chef cooks it right in front of you. We visited Anandas for dinner. The menu is huge, food was good.Plantation also has another restaurant to dine at, meals o.k. here. Not sure if you are travelling as family or couple. As we travelled as a couple we didnt need lunch. We made some purchases at the supermarket at Nadi before we came across to Plantation.Coke Lemonade( for our mixer drinks at bure) snack foods for at the beach. We were so busy we didnt have time for lunch. Fiji is a wonderful place to holiday. Just go!!

Get answers to your questions about Malolo Lailai Island