We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tsunami Warning System

Melbourne AU
4 posts
Save Topic
Tsunami Warning System

I'm interested to know whether Mana Island had an effective tsunami warning procedure for its guests this week during the tragic events in the region.

I understand from other posts within the Fiji forums that guests at the resort were completely unaware of the government warning.

If true, I'm bothered. How was it at other resorts?

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,979 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tsunami Warning System

The Pacific Region has a tsunami warning system. All islands and resorts would have been informed I am sure if the situation required. They have a similar process in place for cyclone alert they are informed in plenty of time. Why cause a panic if not necessary.

Sydney
Level Contributor
488 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tsunami Warning System

No panic at Likuliku - all guests were advised of the situation and we just had a longer breakfast in the restaurant until all was clear.

We were very well looked after.

Melbourne AU
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tsunami Warning System

With all due respect HOOKED, I'm looking for replies from people who were on the ground at Mana or close by. Like it or not, some people worry about these things (eg. my good lady wife).

My curiosity follows a post from someone who said they didn't know about the tsunami on Mana, whilst other islands were put on notice and guests moved to controlled areas and higher ground.

My concerns will be completely allayed by a post that confirms that the Pacific warning system extends to Mana.

Cheers.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tsunami Warning System

I agree......why panic people if it is not necessary??

I think what people meant was that because Mana doesn't have any tv's they didn't know that it had happened. I am sure the resort would have informed them if it was necessary.

Bathurst, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Viti Levu, Treasure Island, Sonaisali Island, Nadi
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tsunami Warning System

I had friends at Sonaisali Resort and they were made aware of the problems and kept up to date with what was going on! Perhaps Mana management did know but like other posts decided to keep it calm and not worry anyone with information unless it became relevant. Hopefully you hear from others who may have actually been on Mana at the time! Regards

Melbourne
Level Contributor
194 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tsunami Warning System

Hi BJ,

I'm the one who posted from mana that we hadn't heard anything. We had a busy morning out walking & enjoying ouselves so at that stage had heard nothing till we returned to our bure with SMS to call family. After I posted, we went to the info board & all of the details about it were there. I am sure, as others have said, that if there was an imminent threat we would have been alerted, however why cause unnecessary panic? (especially in the land of paradise). Leaving tomorrow :( Love this place & will definitely be back. Cindy

Melbourne AU
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tsunami Warning System

Thanks Cindy,

I appreciate your insight.

Cheers,

BJ

8. Re: Tsunami Warning System

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2010, 05:18