We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tsnami

Which Mana Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
victoria
2 posts
Save Topic
tsnami

Travelling with children to Mana and a little nervous about all the quake and tsnami warnings, is there sufficient notice/drills?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tsnami

Don' t think that you have anything to worry about. All resorts have evcuation plans in the event of earthquakes, etc. The outer reef the surrounds Fiji offers it protection from tsunamis.

Tea Gardens...
Destination Expert
for Mana Island
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tsnami

Hi, the Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre, which is located in Hawai has 26 participating members including Fiji. They are responsible for monitoring and warning various countries, including Fiji, of impending tsunamis..

According to the "Raw Fiji News" the tsunami warning for Fiji on 29 September, 2009 which lead to the tragedy in Samoa was announced on the radio and mobile telephone service providers alerted Fiji subscribers.The Fijian response was said to be swift and pro-active.

However, according to Radio New Zealand, a local tsunami warning system has been sitting in an electronics warehouse in Fiji for the past 3 years and has not been installed due to financial constraints. In light of the Samoan tragedy a meeting is planned next week with a view to installation.

I was on Mana in December 2007 when we received a cyclone warning which thankfully did not eventuate. Management gave us regular updates as to what was occuring in addition to evacuation procedures. Everybody seemed to be well organized.

I am sure that should a tsunami occur at Mana management will take appropriate action. There are a couple of high hills on the island where people could safely evacuate to. Don't worry, enjoy your holiday!

Tea Gardens...
Destination Expert
for Mana Island
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tsnami

Without wishing to be alarmist, the reef around Mana would not offer much protection from a tsunami. The wave that recently hit American Samoa was estimated to be 4 to 6 metres high and swept inland a distance of 1.5 kilometres.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tsnami

Don't mean the reef the surrounds Mana, I am talking about the outer reef, the one the surrounds Fiji itself.

The effects of the latest earthquake off Vanuatu were suppose to be felt in northern Queensland. We feel it more in the south east because the Great Barrier Reef minimised its effects.

Tea Gardens...
Destination Expert
for Mana Island
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tsnami

Hi Beerwalk, Samoa is surrounded by a reef too which did not help much.

Tea Gardens...
Destination Expert
for Mana Island
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tsnami

Hi Bonnyview, I have just received a copy of the Tsunami Evacuation Procedure from Mana which comprises 7 pages. It is very comprehensive and appears to covers all contingencies. Don't worry.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tsnami

Reef or no reef and the end of the day I am sure you will be perfectly safe. Some things you cannot control, nature is one of them.

Please don't worry and have a wonderful holiday. :)

victoria
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: tsnami

Very helpful thank you I think this gives us the reassurance we were after.

Bathurst, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Viti Levu, Treasure Island, Sonaisali Island, Nadi
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tsnami

You should be perfectly safe to travel just remember if we worried about al the possible things that could go wrong in the world natural disaster speaking i dont think anyone would travel! Im off in bout a week with no hesitation at all but i do have my trusty travel insurance a must indeed! Safe Travel!

10. Re: tsnami

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Mana Island