We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lots of questions to be answered

Which Mana Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Lots of questions to be answered

Hi All

I thought I'd put this all in one place and hopefully get bits and pieces of info on Mana Island Resort. We're going there for 9 nights in March!

Firstly Accommodation... I can get a Oceanview room for $108pn and am wondering whether I take my chances booking this and then request a bure; or spend $127pn for the Oceanfront bure? Which one is better quality or is the only difference the size and the view? I also noticed a lot of people get upgraded on arrival, do I take my chances and book the cheaper room and hope for an upgrade? Any specific preference on room or bure numbers for best views etc?

Snacks.... We fly into Nadi at 2.30pm and are going to book on a flight to Mana at 5.00pm. I was thinking to buy snacks etc from Duty free at the airport (Do they have lots of snacks?) Am I going to have enough time to clear customs, buy food and get to my other flight? Someone I know just went there and told me it would be cheaper to buy my snacks here in oz and then take them with us? Is that actually correct? I would have thought DF would be cheaper?

Food.... I've heard the breakfasts are good but everything else not so much. Is it cheaper to buy a meal plan for bfast before we leave or is it the same price to organise this when we arrive? Which backpackers has the best food for lunch and dinners?

Money.... Is it cheaper to exchange money in oz before leaving or exchange at the money changer at the airport, or pull out at the ATM at the airport? We'd like to do a few activities and will be paying cash for lunches and dinners at the backpackers. How much cash do you think we'll need for the 2 of us for 9 nights?

I think thats pretty much all the questions I have at the moment. If anyone can help with 1 or 2 of my questions, that would be fantastic!

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lots of questions to be answered

I think it'll be cheaper to buy snacks from here, that's what I usually do. You can organise the meal plan when you're there- same price. The meals at Ratu Kini's are good and reasonably priced. Dinner at South beach restaurant are good value on a meal plan. Also, the buffets at North beach restaurant are good- Mongolian bbq and Lovo night is my favourite. The indian buffet is quite good too.The only difference with the bures is the ocean front is larger and no neighbours on the other side.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lots of questions to be answered

Agree with Blaze, buy your snack there, it is cheaper. I have always thought that the food at Mana was good so only ocasionally ate at the backpapers. As for accomodation, if you really want to stay in a bure book the Ocean Front as there is no guarantee with the Ocean View even though they will do there best. Large families and groups travelling together wanting interconnecting rooms get preference.

Have stayed in the hotel style Ocean View as well and there is nothing wrong with them.

Beerwalk :)

Sydney
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Lots of questions to be answered

Do you ever have any problems with Customs in Nadi when you take your own snacks with you? I just don't want to be held up at customs going through my food when I have a connecting flight out to the island.

What do you usually do about currency? Exchange here or there or ATM?

Sydney
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Lots of questions to be answered

Blaze said buy here, you say buy there LOL

So confusing!!!

Remember I am stuck in the airport so I don't have a chance to go to Nadi and buy, so whatever is in duty free is what I have to deal with. Is it still cheaper to buy duty free over there than here? Do they have much variety.

(I can't believe I'm tossing up about whether or not to spend and extra $200.00 to get an oceanfront bure. I guess it happens when you holiday on a budget)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lots of questions to be answered

Sorry I meant buy here!! No troubles taking things through customs as long as you declare it and make sure it is in sealed.

Exchange your money here. You will be charges heaps of fees if you use an ATM over there. I normally use either Australia Post or Westpac. With Westpac you can do it on line and pick up at local branch.

And yes you always look for ways of saving money if you are on a budget.

Beerwalk :)

Sydney
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Lots of questions to be answered

Definitely sounds like a plan to get food and money here (and declare it) that way if I do get stuck in customs i'll have nothing else to do but get the connecting flight.

if i do have enough time i'll get some alcohol from DF :)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lots of questions to be answered

I normally buy my duty free alcohol here is Australia as they don't have what I like available in Fiji. You could do this also and will save yourself more time.

beerwalk :)

Australia
Level Contributor
817 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lots of questions to be answered

Check with you bank online for cash.We ordered ours online with Westpac and at the time they didn't have any fees.They had a good rate also.Australia Post also doesn't have any fees but sometime their rate isn't as good.

It is very slow going through customs sometimes.So if you are short on time you might be best to bring snacks and DF from home.You could also do the duty free shopping whilst your partner waits in line as the duty free stores are wher you line up to go through customs.

Sydney
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Lots of questions to be answered

PERFECT!!!!

would never have thought about 1 staying in line and 1 going to shop.

Tea Gardens...
Destination Expert
for Mana Island
Level Contributor
1,755 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lots of questions to be answered

Hi, go for the Oceanfront Bures, they are free standing and you wont have any trouble with noisy neighbours or people who want to party. They are much better quality than the Oceanview rooms although these are about to be renovated. If this is your first time to Mana your chances of being upgraded are slim.

If you arrive at Nadi at .2.30pm and leave for Mana at 5 p.m. you will have ample time to go into Nadi town by taxi to exchange money. Last October they were offering $A1.46 per Fiji dollar at the airport and I got $A1.67 at the money changers near Morris Hedstrom in town.

There is not much variety in snack foods at the Duty Free at Nadi airport. Take them from Oz but do not take any dairy foods i.e. cheese as these are not allowed.

Get answers to your questions about Mana Island