We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Modriki island tour with a toddler in January?

Which Mana Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
sydney
Level Contributor
183 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Modriki island tour with a toddler in January?

Hi there, me again!

We will spend 6 nights on Mana and although the plan is to relax and do nothing for a week, the day trip to Modriki is tempting! we will be there in January (19 - 25) and I udnerstand that weather/sun is really hot at that time of the year. Is it reasonable to go on a day trip with a toddler? Won't it be too hot for him? Is there shade on the island? Thanks!!

Tea Gardens...
Destination Expert
for Mana Island
Level Contributor
1,755 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Modriki island tour with a toddler in January?

Hi Markandflo, the Seaspray moors off Modriki Island for about an hour and the majority of guests dive overboard and swim to the island where they enjoy snorkelling. Some guests go to the island by boat. Upon their return to the boat the barbecue luncheon is served.Some ot the guests stay on board and do not go swimming. There is very little shade on the island and as you indicate it is very hot that time of the year. Even if you decided to take your child to the island. I think the safest option would be for one of you to remain on board and then take it it in turns to mind him. Another difficulty is that you have to climb into and out of the yacht to a small boat and if there is any swell it is not easy particularly if you are carrying a toddler.. If I were you, I would put your son into the Kids Club at Mana for the day and you would both be able to enjoy the day which is really fantastic.

Len (7 day to go)

Edited: 19 October 2010, 03:47
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Modriki island tour with a toddler in January?

Agree with Len. My son was nearly 3 when we took him on the Seaspray and he was just old enough. This was also in September when it wasn't as hot. Hubby and I have done it in March, and it was extremely hot. There is not a lot of shade to be found on the island and you are there for about 3 hrs.

Another day trip you might consider is the island hopping. You got to Castaway, Malolo, Musket Cove and Plantation. There is enought time to look around the resorts and grab a drink. You have more time at Plantation where you can have lunch and swim in the pool.

Nola :)

Edited: 19 October 2010, 08:03
Australia
Level Contributor
817 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Modriki island tour with a toddler in January?

I agree too. It is a long day and very hot with a toddler.I would do the island hopping also as you can find shade and get a cool drink and relax, rather than staying in the water to keep cool. We have been to Mana several times from when our little one was 14 months and will be two and a half in December. We opted out of doing any day trips until he was older but have decided to do the island hopping this time. I am very happy to leave my kids at kids club or with a baby sitter but don't feel comfortable leaving the island without them in case of an emergency.

Tracy

sydney
Level Contributor
183 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Modriki island tour with a toddler in January?

Hi Tracy/Manaregular,

Thanks heaps for your advice, we won’t do the Modriki or may be we will split, I will do the Modriki tour and my husband will have a diving session, we will decide while in Mana. Like Tracy, I don;t feel comfortable leaving my little one on the island for the full day as he is still a baby. I just have another question on another subject, about dinners. Can my son have free dinner at the buffet even if my partner and I don’t eat at the buffet? We will probably use babysitters and have a few dinners at the south beach restaurant just the 2 of us while baby is asleep. Thanks again!! I CAN’T wait to be there and can already picture myself in the clear water surrounded by palm trees!

Tea Gardens...
Destination Expert
for Mana Island
Level Contributor
1,755 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Modriki island tour with a toddler in January?

Hi, yes your son can have a free meal at the buffet and you are notc

compelled to eat there as well but you can go to the south beach restaurant

Len (6 days to go).

6. Re: Modriki island tour with a toddler in January?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2011, 06:43
Get answers to your questions about Mana Island