We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mana Island...3 days to go. A few last minute questions

Which Mana Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
750 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Mana Island...3 days to go. A few last minute questions

Our trip to Mana is nearly here. We just had a few minor questions to ask.

1. Is there a baggage limit on South Sea Cruises? We are going Captains Lounge.

2. Our kids have snorkels, flippers and goggles but we dont. Should we buy some to take or hire/buy there?

3. We are on the midday boat to the Island, is it worth getting to the Marina early? We have been to Fiji several times but only to Coral Coast and were hoping to check out the Marina and maybe catch up with some friends staying on Denauru.

Thanks, Chellel

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mana Island...3 days to go. A few last minute questions

Hi ChelleL

There is no baggage limit on South Sea Cruises that I am aware of.

We always take our own snorkelling gear. Even though the ones at Mana are pretty good, they can sometimes run out if the resort is busy. Plus you will have to return them at night. Also even though they are disinfected after each use, I just don't like the thought of putting something in my mouth that has been in someone elses. Easier to have your own!

If you did go early to Mana, there would be no guarentee that your room would be ready and you may have to wait around for it. Check in is at 2pm.

Nola ;)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
750 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mana Island...3 days to go. A few last minute questions

Thanks Nola, I knew I could count on ta regulars foe advice.

Is there much to do at denauru marina if we get there early?

Thanks again

Chellel

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mana Island...3 days to go. A few last minute questions

Shopping!!

There’s a Jack's there which sells good souvenirs and clothing. Might be a good time to pick these things up as the boutique at Mana is small. They have some things, but not the range that Jacks has. There are also a few other clothing stores, a jeweller, the supermarket, a bakery and Hard Rock Café.

If you to decide to go to Mana earlier, take your swimmers in a carry bag so you can enjoy the beaches and pools while you wait for your room.

Nola ;)

Hervey Bay...
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mana Island...3 days to go. A few last minute questions

Agree with Nola on everything so far.

Do make sure to check out Cloudbreak at Denarau! Love it, love it, love it! 3 floors of clothing, (mens, womans and childrens) at great prices.

Liquid Culture is another good store and of course Yee's for all your snacks, mixers etc.

Have a fantastic holiday.

Maree :D

tasmania
Level Contributor
109 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mana Island...3 days to go. A few last minute questions

Have just come back Chennel, you will love it. I agree with the others, take your own snorkel gear,we just got flippers from resort and you can get these from north or south beach, in one of the reviews, someone commented that you could only get them on south beach, but they are available at both beaches which is good. We had a suitcase each and 4 carry bags and there was no problem with the boat. It is quite nice to have a look around Denarau, and good to get a few supplies there. Have you bought meal plan? We bought ours for the total time we were there once we arrived, but if I went again I wouldn't pay for every meal. Make sure you go to the backpackers there are alot of local lovely people there and food is also good.I hope you have a great time, I wish it was me going again I am missing it already.

Regards Robyn,

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
750 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mana Island...3 days to go. A few last minute questions

Nola, Maree & Robyn, Thanks so much for all the tips and hints....i cant believe we now only have 2 more sleeps to go. Even though our first night is at Novotel I am still excited. The kids are excited to be missing a couple of days of school too!!

I recall reading that there is a nice lookout to walk to on Mana, at this stage I have only packed thongs and sandals - could I walk there is them? I have long ago given up on taking sneakers or heels to Fiji as I never wear them!

Also should I book South Beach restaurant before we leave Sydney or should I just do it when I arrive? (we have breakfast and dinner included).

Thanks again!

Chellel

Hervey Bay...
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mana Island...3 days to go. A few last minute questions

We did the walk in thongs, so no you dont really need runners :D

We never had a problem booking into south Beach Restaurant. We would just make sure to make the reservations the day before. Being school holidays might be different though as it will be busier....

Im glad we could all help you and I truly hope you have a wonderful time, the weathers stunning and you come home with some wonderful memories.

Maree :D

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
750 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mana Island...3 days to go. A few last minute questions

Thanks cricket, it will be our first time to an island in Fiji. As with most people on here we have fallen in love with Fiji - this will be our 4th visit in 15 months - we stayed at Shangri La in July last year, and Dec/Jan. Also went to Outrigger @ Easter.

The only good thing about coming back will be writing my review....oh and planning the next trip.

Chellel

auckland
Level Contributor
376 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mana Island...3 days to go. A few last minute questions

Bula. If you take too much luggage on South Seas they will try and charge you around $20 a bag.

For this to occur you would probably have to have over two suitcases and hand luggage each so I doubt you will have that much.

Because we take so much stuff over for the village etc we learned the hard way many years ago so now take our own boat!

Have a good time.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
750 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mana Island...3 days to go. A few last minute questions

Thanks ziggystar, I do have a bag of kids clothes and also school supplies to take with me. Is there a tour to the village? Or is it best to arrange with a staff member from the resort?

Thanks again!

Get answers to your questions about Mana Island