We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dilemma....how long to stay

Which Mana Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Dilemma....how long to stay

Some opinions would be appreciated.....just trying to work out how long to stay.....

We'll be travelling with 2 adults and 2 kidlets (2.5yrs and 4yrs).....REALLY need some downtime.

I'm leaning towards 12 nights....hubby thinking 10. I could even go 14.

Experiences - would we be "over it" by 12+ nights, or wishing we could stay for longer?

My gut is saying GO FOR AS LONG AS YOU CAN!

My brain is saying "might be too long for the kids or you may get bored".

What have you found?

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
391 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dilemma....how long to stay

If you re looking for relaxing holiday I would say 14 days if you can. We have always gone for at least 14 days with the kids and they never got bored even had a 3 week stay once it was glorious. I am sure once you experience Fiji you wont want to go home and will surely make plans to return this year will be our 21st year of visiting we just love it.

auckland
Level Contributor
376 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dilemma....how long to stay

the longer the better. guarantees you get a good run of weather too.

You can break the odd "boring " day up by grabbing a boat and island hopping by example.

Your children are of an age they wont be bored at mana.

Ocean Grove...
Level Contributor
369 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dilemma....how long to stay

If it was me and I had that long I would definately visit 2 diferent resorts in different part of Fiji. So many places to see and visit. You could have 6 or 7 days at each place.

2 weeks at the same place would seem like a waste to me.

Kat

Australia
Level Contributor
817 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dilemma....how long to stay

We stayed at Mana for Christmas for 15 nights and I thought it was too long with small kids.We love Mana and have stayed many times but it we had had enough by then. We were also well over the food by then too. The kids don't get bored but I think we were all ready to move on. I think 12 nights is a good number and then perhaps a few nights on the mainland before the flight home. The pro's of Denarau is the nice pools and the food options in the port if that appeals to you. Or maybe you could split your stay on two islands.

Tracy

Dunedin
Destination Expert
for Mana Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
1,905 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dilemma....how long to stay

Hi Rachnod,

A relaxing holiday with 2 small children would need at least 12-14 days.

Remember, that if you pack up and move to another island/destination within Fiji you will lose a day - travelling to and fro. I always go to Fiji for at least 4-5 weeks - am very relaxed at the end of this time (but no kids!). I have already sent you some information re Mana Island, which hopefully has helped in making a decision. Flicarose

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
161 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dilemma....how long to stay

I haven't stay at Mana but if it was me and I could go for 14nights I would do 3/4 nights at on of the resorts at Denarau (Radisson would be my pick for the waterslide which is great fun for the kids) and then 10/11 nights on Mana. I don't think you really start to relax until you hit the islands. But for us we enjoy the few nights at Denarau getting the resort fix with lovely pools and nice restaurants and then really look forward the casual and relaxing environment when we get to the island.

It breaks it up a bit if you are concerned about getting bored. For me it's never long enough.

Hervey Bay...
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dilemma....how long to stay

We try and travel each year with our 3 kids (now teens), but we do find 5 nights at a resort is more than enough.

We always stay at least 12 nights (15 last trip) but we always mix it up with at least 2 resorts. Usually 1 on the mainland and 1 on an island. It gives a good balance I think. As the mainland and the islands are so different its a bit like getting 2 holidays in the one.

12-15 days is good...but make sure you do mix it up a little with accommodation.

Maree :D

Adelaide
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dilemma....how long to stay

Thanks all for your thoughts, we're hoping to book very soon so just nutting out the details. Flicarose, your extra information has been amazingly helpful!!

9. Re: Dilemma....how long to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 09:20
Get answers to your questions about Mana Island