We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hideaway then Mana - 13 or 14 nights

Which Mana Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Echuca, Australia
Level Contributor
743 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Hideaway then Mana - 13 or 14 nights

Ok we're going to do it 31/3 - 14/4/2012 - !!

7 nights Hideaway then 6 nights Mana. Flying from Melbourne. Our group has dwindled to 3 families but that's OK.

Now looking at booking options & the confusion starts. There is SUCH a variety in costs.

I've looked at Expedia (downside is full payment needed almost straight away).

Coral Seas don't have specials out for the travel period yet

IMO Traevlonline seems quite expensive, similar to my own travel agent

My Fiji don't have Hideaway specials yet but do have Mana

etc etc etc

Has anyone booked similar to the above & have any recommendations? Did you book directly?

Fiji is definately calling my name........would welcome your advice as I need to book soon

Thanks

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,019 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hideaway then Mana - 13 or 14 nights

If you want to book soon - you'll have to take what's on offer at the time. If you are prepared to wait a bit longer and see what specials pop up - then grab them as and when you see them.

We book airfares when they're on special then insert accommodation into our dates as specials come up.

Echuca, Australia
Level Contributor
743 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hideaway then Mana - 13 or 14 nights

Hi Tez I "bit the bullet" after my previous post & have booked the whole holiday. Well just waiting on room availability confirmation & then my Fiji countdown begins.

We're doing 7 nights at Hideaway, all inclusive in 2 x Frangipani rooms. 6 nights in an island bure at Mana. The hardest part is over now (except paying for it) - bit excited now!!

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,019 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hideaway then Mana - 13 or 14 nights

Great - we were just discussing the other day how much we'd like to go back to Hideaway for a while. It's a lovely, authentic resort and whilst it's not perfect - it has "character". Be sure to make the most of everything they have to offer :)

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,661 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hideaway then Mana - 13 or 14 nights

I would spend more time at Mana than at Hideaway, I would do a max. of 5 at Hideaway there is no comparison between the mainland resorts and the islands the island have the beautiful coral reefs. I would also wait till the New Year to book at least February, there always seem to be some good specials after the school holidays have ended and you will miss the Easter holidays too.Both resorts are large so you shouldn't have any problems getting the accommodation you want. Airfares may be better too but if you are worried book those now. You are going at the end of the "wet" season so hopefully you won't get rain. The islands tend to be drier and less humid.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hideaway then Mana - 13 or 14 nights

You will be there just after us. We are going to Mana 18/3/12!! ;)

Check with your local Flight Centre. We got a really good deal for Mana, Stay 6 pay 3.

Also agree with the spending more time at Mana……..once you get there, you won’t want to leave!!

Nola ;)

Echuca, Australia
Level Contributor
743 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hideaway then Mana - 13 or 14 nights

Thanks everyone!

As we're travelling with 2 other families who've never been to Fiji before we decided on the 7 nights mainland as there is a heap of things we all want to do.

I know the islands are stunning but 6 nights is better than none. Never been to Mana before so that's the bit I'm probably most excited about! We did have a week at Amunuca in January & fell in love with the islands then. My kids are so disappointed not to be going back to their Fijian friends at Amunuca so I hope Mana ticks the boxes too :)

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,661 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hideaway then Mana - 13 or 14 nights

Very different resorts Amanuca and Mana, you can only try different ones you can always find something special. Mana is a lot bigger than Amanuca but more choice of beaches. Hope you enjoy it.

Santa Barbara
Level Contributor
56 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hideaway then Mana - 13 or 14 nights

luv2travel2009: if you PM me your email address, I can email you a long list of tips that I'm creating about the Mana Resort. I just returned from a 4 night stay and have many smart traveling tips to share.... But my first tip for you is to NOT book directly w/ the resort. You can typically get a better rate on Expedia but even if the rate is the same as booking directly, the resort charges a 3% credit card surcharge so you can avoid this by prepaying the entire stay with Expedia.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,019 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hideaway then Mana - 13 or 14 nights

gary1580 - did you travel with children? Expedia are notorious for not booking child accommodation sufficiently. I would never recommend using Expedia for bookings that include children as our experience has been turning up at a hotel with no bed for the child and then having to pay extra at the hotel to squeeze a foldaway bed into a room that was completely unsuitable to fit it. There are however, other online booking sites that do accommodate children completely within the booking process but only one thatI have found that doesn't charge a C/C or booking fee. They also have a rewards night scheme (for every 10 nights you book, you get a free night).

There are Mana Island Destination Experts on TA that have travelled there for extended holidays, multiple times over the years. I would suggest you PM one of them (Manaregular or Beerwalk are active on the forums) and run your article by them for input before you post it.

Santa Barbara
Level Contributor
56 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hideaway then Mana - 13 or 14 nights

tez823: We did not have children. It was 3 adults.... If you book via Expedia, I would recommend emailing the resort directly with your accommodation requests and they'll tell you upfront if there will be an additional fee for child's accommodation.

Get answers to your questions about Mana Island