We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tvs in rooms at Mana Island

Cessnock, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Tvs in rooms at Mana Island

Ive read that there are no Tv's in the rooms at the island. Is this true? Do any of them have Tv's? Also can anyone recomend which accommodation is best to stay in for just my partner and i? We are on a budget & like the idea of the ocean view rooms but if they are pretty much the same thing as the island bures we would rather just get one of those. We did the same thing when we stayed at the outrigger in fifji and paid extra for a bure and were all the way up the back. The rooms were pretty much the same as the bures (excluding the great beach front ones) but were more expensive. Any thoughts from anyone that has been there?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
195 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tvs in rooms at Mana Island

Hi kat06e,

We as a family of 5 (17, 19 & 21yo) have only stayed in the deluxe ocean view bures. We love these as they are on the north beach which seems to be a bit quieter, with fabulous views and snorkelling at your doorstep. For us, the short walk to amenities is a joy rather than than a problem. It is a bit more to pay, but well worth it in our opinion.

Others will probably post reasons for choosing other rooms :)

There are no tvs, which we actually prefer. www.manafiji.com/imgdir/map/fiji_map.pdf is a link to the map showing where the different types of accommodation are located.

We are returning for our 3rd visit soon, and can't wait!

Safe travels,

Cindy

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
751 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tvs in rooms at Mana Island

The island burrs are the cheapest and were more than adequate for our family of 5 in September, plus they have an outdoor shower! You will be able to seem them on the map in the above link, they are centrally located. We put in a request for a few different Bure numbers and ended up getting one of them.

No need for TVs on Mana, you don't even miss them. We were there during Rugby World Cup and they had a big flat screen in the Games Room, I am sure they would do the same for the Olympic etc.

Australia
Level Contributor
75 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tvs in rooms at Mana Island

Nope, no TV's on Mana as the others have confirmed. Many say they didn't miss it...thats party true, I didn't miss it, but my husband did. He doesn't watch much tv, but he does like to watch a bit of it at night before going to sleep...reckons it helps him wind down. So he wasn't impressed (I neglected to tell him before we arrived, lol).

As for the room, I wouldn't recommend an Ocean View room in the hotel-style blocks. We found they were small, cramped, dirty, slightly claustrophobic and didn't really have "ocean views". Maybe they had good views once but where our room was, there was a lot of vegetation & trees blocking most of the view. We requested an ocean view bure but didn't get one unfortunately. I would've preferred a bure much more; if I'd have known we would've been given a dingy room in the blocks, I wouldn't have paid extra for the ocean view category and gone with an island bure (which I believe have now been refurbished).

However, our stay was 4 years ago, so perhaps those rooms have been improved since?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
751 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tvs in rooms at Mana Island

We ended up in an Ocean View room on our first night - ouch, so dark an dingy and not worth the money. Cramped, damp and noisy. The location was okay though. The rest of our stay was in Island Bure and so much nicer! Loved the outdoor shower.

We took the iPods, iPad and laptop (this was for work but used for movies) plus the eternal favourite UNO! We paid approx $50 for the week to get WiFi Access, this via Tomizone (I think that is what they are called).

Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
201 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tvs in rooms at Mana Island

We've stayed in the ocean front suite (on the south beach) on our last stay and an island bure the time before that. The island bure would suit you guys just fine I reckon. While they're not beach front, if you get a stand alone one they can be quite private. The outdoor showers are a treat too. We had a look at the deluxe ocean view bures last time we were there and thought they were in a great spot on the north beach. Some of those are stand alone too although I think that category is dearer than the island bure. I know the island and deluxe ocean view bures have been renovated recently but not sure about the hotel room style accomodation.

I thought I'd miss the sport on tv but the crab races and bingo took care of that.

Cessnock, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tvs in rooms at Mana Island

Thanks to everyones feedback. We are now booked and secured. We took an Island Bure, its sounds like we will be happy with that. We will take a laptop and a fwe DVDs, just for those times when its nice to settle down. Appreciate all your help.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tvs in rooms at Mana Island

Internet access is cheaper if you buy a 500 MB pass via credit card when you get there

Dunedin
Destination Expert
for Mana Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
2,034 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tvs in rooms at Mana Island

The 'hotel rooms' referred to as the 300 block, are being renovated right now. These are located on the North Beach overlooking the ocean. Refer to Mana's map - now on their revamped website. The 'Island Bures' referred to as the 100 block rooms are much nicer - outdoor shower etc. but no close 'views' of the ocean. Flicarose

9. Re: Tvs in rooms at Mana Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2013, 10:19