We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vodafone Sim Cards available at Nadi airport?

Which Mana Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tokoroa, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Vodafone Sim Cards available at Nadi airport?

I will be flying to Fiji next week despite the weather! We will then go on to Mana Island, does anyone know if there are still free vodafone sim cards available at Nadi airport for shot term stay?

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,000 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vodafone Sim Cards available at Nadi airport?

Why don't you just get a VF sim before you leave home? VF AU or NZ will just pick up on the Fiji network.

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vodafone Sim Cards available at Nadi airport?

The Vodaphone cards from Australia or NZ will work on global roaming, which isn't the cheapest way to call in Fiji. It's so much cheaper to use a local Vodaphone Fiji or Digicel card.

Vodaphone have a store at Nadi airport. I always buy a Digicel card, so can't tell you about "free" cards, anyway to my knowledge the free cards only have a very small amount of credit, they have to be topped up anyway.

Make sure you have an "unlocked" mobile/cellphone

Have a great holiday, the weather is looking much better currently

LTB

Tokoroa, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vodafone Sim Cards available at Nadi airport?

Thanks for the advice< digicel looks like the way to go and I will make sure my phone is unlocked before I leave. Good to hear that the weather is looking better!!

Sydney, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Vodafone Sim Cards available at Nadi airport?

Hi

I am at mana island now. Vodaphone are still giving away the free Sims, however you need to buy credit. At the moment they have a deal for $15 Fiji dollars I received $45 credit

Cairns Region...
Level Contributor
376 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vodafone Sim Cards available at Nadi airport?

Vodafone does have the 1 for 3 thing going, However it may not be available at the airport. They have tourist prices and to get the best deal would require going to town. Digicell has $10 for the price of $11, so not the best deal but calling rates are cheaper than Vodafone.

Geelong
Level Contributor
104 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vodafone Sim Cards available at Nadi airport?

Does anyone know where in Fiji I can get a sim for an iphone4? Last trip I couldn't find one, only 'normal' sized sims. (iphones have smaller sims)

Hopefully with some help, next trip I can have phone access, not at Telstra international rates!!

Thanks

Dunedin
Destination Expert
for Mana Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vodafone Sim Cards available at Nadi airport?

Hi all,

ONLY Vodafone at Nadi International Airport are giving away free Sim cards (for the Vodafone network) (on the left when you come out of Customs into the actual airport Concourse). You will be issued with a 'local' number, & the technician will set your phone up for you. Of course, you have to buy some credit to get started. It is well worth acquiring a local phone number - otherwise roaming charges become exhorbitant on your return home. Every few days either Vodafone, Inkk or Digicel have 'specials' like 1up, 2up, 3up, 4up and 5up - i.e. you buy $20-00 of credit and get $100-00 (5up) of free money. These are always advertised in full page advts. in the Fiji daily newspapers. Usually the 'credit' lasts for 3 months, the free money about 10-31day-depends. If your phone is not topped up within the 3 months, your allocated local number reverts to flying around in cyber space forever more! At times specials also includes free txts. Inkk regularly has extremely good deals within their network for 'overseas calls' - i.e. $6-00 for 30 minutes to selected countries - i.e. Australia, NZ, China, USA and many places in Europe.

Personally I prefer Vodafone - as family member is Head of the Fiji Network Technical things. 3G is now working in Fiji (i.e. most places, but not at all the outer/remote islands).

TIP: I take 2 phones to Fiji - A cheap phone to use for local calls (with permanent Fiji Sim card) , and my usual satellite phone which is on contract. A cheap phone can be bought in NZ or Australia for local purpose and this will alleviate having to change Sim cards every few time you want to check incoming calls etc. I will ask my brother re 4G but fairly sure this is not up and working yet in Fiji. Hope the above helps. Flicarose

Tokoroa, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vodafone Sim Cards available at Nadi airport?

Thanks all, I'm back from Fiji and went with the getting the free Vodafone sim card and just topped it up, way cheap to call back to NZ! I was there 8 days and called home every day sometimes twice a day and still didn't use all of it so resorted to calling everyone I could think of back home.

Fiji was beautiful, an experience over and above my expectations!

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
405 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vodafone Sim Cards available at Nadi airport?

If I get international roaming on my vodafone is it very expensive to just send a few texts? (ie to say we are fine to relatives).

Don't really want to make calls when in Fiji, but would be nice to have it just in case.

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vodafone Sim Cards available at Nadi airport?

Do you have a smart phone like an iphone? if so you'll need to be aware of the costs of data roaming and how to turn it off, or you could get home to a huge bill. And be aware if someone rings you when you are in Fiji the international call costs will be charged to your phone account

It depends what plan you are on. Check the Vodaphone Aust. website for costs including received calls costs

vodafone.com.au/personal/…index.htm

hope this helps LTB

Get answers to your questions about Mana Island