We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

An idea of Meal Plans

Port Lincoln
Level Contributor
173 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
An idea of Meal Plans

Can someone please give me a guide on the sort of foods you can choose with the Meal Plans - and is the food plentiful - we have 2 big eaters in the family! Is it also possible to buy snacks etc during the day or should we take our own?

Thanks in advance:)

Tea Gardens...
Destination Expert
for Mana Island
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: An idea of Meal Plans

Hi, if you send me your e-mail address by PM will send you copies of the menus. You can buy some basic snacks at Mana but they are very expensive. Take them from home or buy them at Nadi or Denarau.

auckland
Level Contributor
376 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: An idea of Meal Plans

The meal plan is in the process of changing at mana. It will only allow eating at the buffet with a daily credit given back if you want to buy meals at the a la carte.

Tea Gardens...
Destination Expert
for Mana Island
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: An idea of Meal Plans

Hi Ziggy, there is some confusion re the new meal plan charges. Can you give us any further information.I understand that if you spend more than the MP at the a-la-carte restaurant on the SB you pay the difference. I dont know how they will work this out especially if you have a full board plan.

auckland
Level Contributor
376 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: An idea of Meal Plans

Here are the current meal plan rates including taxes. these rates are the carded rates and allow you only to eat at the buffett.

For Adults Code 01 April ~ 23 December`12

04 January `12 ~ 31 March `13 24 December `12~ 03 January `13

Full Board MPFB 130.00 160.00

Half Board MPHB 100.00 120.00

Breakfast MPBF 35.00 40.00

For Child

3~15 years old Code 01 April ~ 23 December.`12

04 January `12 ~ 31 March `13 24 December `12~ 03 January `13

Full Board MPFB 50.00 61.00

Half Board MPHB 35.00 43.00

Breakfast MPBF 15.00 18.00

The larger prices are for the xmas new year period.

Then you have the following options by way of a credit. ie If you choose to eat at the a la carte for dinner you will get the following amount credited back each day and you then pay the menu rate for your a la carte meal for whatever you order.

Dinner – Adult $ 50.00 Credit per person ($ 70.00 Credit per person )

Child $ 20.00 Credit per child ($ 25.00 Credit per person )

Lunch – Adult $ 25.00 Credit per person ($ 25.00 Credit per child)

Child $ 15.00 Credit per child ($ 15.00 Credit per child)

Ø Please note ( ) price is for 24 December 2012 ~ 03 January 2013.

Quite confusing!!

Tea Gardens...
Destination Expert
for Mana Island
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: An idea of Meal Plans

Thanks Ziggy, confusing is not the word. I wonder what mathematical genius worked this out. I can see the lines now of people at check out arguing over the cost of their meals. Why couldn't they make it simpler?

auckland
Level Contributor
376 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: An idea of Meal Plans

I think will be a failed experiment like when they doubled the price of beer a few years ago and then wondered why no one purchased any:)

Clearly they are trying to increase yield which I dont blame them for. I think with the huge increase in Australian guests in recent years and their relatively high exchange rate it means they can charge more and it still represents very good value for Australians.

Not so good for us poor kiwis!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
751 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: An idea of Meal Plans

Thanks ziggystar - even more interesting for us as we arrive just before Christmas....two different meal plans to deal with.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: An idea of Meal Plans

Has there been any further clarification on this?

For example, if I purchased the Half Board over xmas at FJD$120 and decided to eat at South Beach a la carte for dinner, they would credit us back FJD$70 which would mean we have ended up paying FJD$50 for just Breakfast, when Breakfast only is listed at FJD$40?

If I have done my maths correct :P

Very odd the way they have calculated it!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: An idea of Meal Plans

That does seem correct babygirlb and, to be honest, is laughable.

Looks a rip off if your breakfast equates to $50 on the half board meal plan when eating dinner at South Beach restaurant.

Years ago, Mana used to have a la carte available at the Mamanuca restaurant as well as a buffet option. This has now disappeared and the resort is lesser for it.

I would not choose the meal plan at Mana due to the seemingly ridiculous pricing above and to avoid eating buffet meals every night.

Dunedin
Destination Expert
for Mana Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
2,100 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: An idea of Meal Plans

Am about to post shortly (when 100% clarified) Mana's meal plans, credit system and 'pay as you go' meals - up until March, 2014.