We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SSC Transfers - how far ahead to book?

Which Mana Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Topic
SSC Transfers - how far ahead to book?

We will be going to Treasure & Mana islands in June/July 2013.

How far ahead should we book the transfers? I don't really want to leave it until we get there, if that is an option (if I happen to forget!).

The website only seems to be in AUD .. how do I get the FJD rates? Or have they just done a notional conversion? If I pay now with Aust credit card will I be charged in AUD or FJD (I am assuming the latter)?

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
Level Contributor
1,991 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SSC Transfers - how far ahead to book?

From past experience - I was charged the same $ amount in NZ$ as the price in

Fiji in FJ$ - so in that case it would have been much cheaper to book and pay in Fiji. You used to be able to email them for a booking number and pay on check-in - but I have heard they won't allow that now. This year our resort booked the boat for us - at local rates - and we paid them with our hotel bill, worth asking if your resort will do that for you.

BURLINGTON
Level Contributor
767 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SSC Transfers - how far ahead to book?

I am also wondering what would be the best choice for booking transfers with SSC and how far in advance to do so, if necessary(traveling in July).

When checking out their website for times and rates, I get the quote in Canadian Dollars so I assume they must have the site programmed to recognize your country and display the currency used. I would also imagine that the cost would reflect the conversion rate at the time of booking. Would anyone know if there would be much of a benefit to waiting and paying in the local currency? I'm thinking it might be better to book ahead and pay the extra for the security of knowing you have a reservation at a busy time of the year.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
Level Contributor
1,991 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SSC Transfers - how far ahead to book?

My e xperience was that the dollar number was the same no matter what the currency (no conversion) - can't recall the amount but paid say $100NZ and then found the price in Fiji was $100FJ. I would hope they have now stopped that practice and have a direct conversion - only way to find out would be to ask your resort what it should be in FJ $ and then convert it yourself.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,663 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SSC Transfers - how far ahead to book?

I always book online and the rate is the same from my experience. Usually book about 2 weeks ahead, last time we had a problem with our payment going through on there payment site and we paid in Fiji dollars using our cc rate was pretty much the same. Out of school holidays you should be OK to pay on arrival t the marina.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: SSC Transfers - how far ahead to book?

Six months later I have finally booked my transfers - we are going in 5.5 weeks.

I sent them an email and the quote came back in FJD, and I have paid in FJD. It probably works out only about A$20 cheaper to do it this way - and I am not sure if the recent FX movements are going to adversely impact that.

I hadn't realised but my CBA Visa charges 2% to pay an overseas vendor in AUD, and 3% to pay in a foreign currency. So I would have been up for a 2% fee at least.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: SSC Transfers - how far ahead to book?

Update - with the FX rate the bank gave me, and the credit card fee - I saved a whole $7 (on A$450)!

7. Re: SSC Transfers - how far ahead to book?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Mana Island