We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mana Island- Boat times

Melbourne, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Mana Island- Boat times

Hi everyone

I am TA newbie and am heading to Mana Island resort in Figi for Christmas. The resort have advised us to book our connection with South Sea Cruises and I just wanted to check if anyone has arrived around 6am at the airport (this is what time our flight gets in) and made it to the marina and got checked in ok for the 9am sailing? I’m worried about the flight being delayed or baggage taking a while to arrive but the airport seems to be quite close so hoping that it would be ok.

Also, I’ve read advice that we should pick up a few bits and pieces (alcohol, water, snacks etc.) to take with us to the island as it is very expensive over there. Do you think there would be time to do this near the marina before the 9am sailing. I’m wondering if we should just book the 12 o clock sailing to be on the safe side and wander around the marina for a while although we will have all our baggage which isn’t ideal! If you miss the 9am sailing would they let you take the 12 o clock sailing?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,107 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mana Island- Boat times

Don't Stress. You will have plenty of time. Takes about 40mins max. to clear immigration and customs. Probably a taxi F$30 to Denarau Marina best idea that early, takes about 1/2 max. Have breakfast at Lulu's cafe next to the check in counter, Lulu's opens about 7.30am. So you have plenty of time. We do this same scenario when we arrive 6-6.30am flight and have to catch the Yasawa Flyer at 8.30. You will have time to do a bit of shopping too if you wish as a lot of the shops at the Marina open around 8am. Buy your alcohol duty free at the airport as you come in (in the baggage collection hall). The supermarket at the Marina has soft drinks etc.

If you catch the bus to the Marinia it will take much longer so get a taxi

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,548 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mana Island- Boat times

Agree with Hooked. You will have plenty of time as very few flights arrive Nadi at 6a.m. We have deplaned, picked up luggage, cleared customs, and exchanged money in 30 to 45 minutes.

You could take some snacks from home in your checked luggage. Be sure to declare any food items you take with you. Will keep the price down, and you will have the brands you like. For other suggestions of what to take:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294331-c134773/Fiji:…

Tea Gardens...
Destination Expert
for Mana Island
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mana Island- Boat times

I agree with Hooked On that you will have heaps of time provided your plane is on time. In the doubtful event that you miss the 9 a.m. boat SSC will allow you to use the same ticket on the 12.15 p.m. boat to Mana.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
195 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mana Island- Boat times

I agree with the others that you'll have plenty of time. However keep in mind your room may not be available until 2pm.

We have done the early boat and found our room was ready. We have also taken our time, stopped at the supermarket, had a late breakfast at Lulu's right near the south sea check in, and wandered around the marina shops filling in time until the later boat. Jacks will look after your bags if required. Less people on the later boat too. Just an option if delayed.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,107 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mana Island- Boat times

Even if your room is not ready I would still prefer to spend my time on Mana than at Denarau Marina especially as you are arriving so early, time will really drag if you wait for the later boat,, the island is a much more pleasant place to be.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mana Island- Boat times

We missed the boat and ended up spending the morning waiting at the marina. This gave us time to buys drinks from the store and stock up on food stuffs for the kids.

They just put us on the next boat at midday.

What got us was being so tired from the over night flight. This wont happen next time. We have just booked Virgin. yeah...

Melbourne
Level Contributor
169 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mana Island- Boat times

Do we need to pre book our boat to mana or can we get on a boat when we get there? We arrive on 25 April and have booked a night at a hotel in denarau so we can leave anytime

Dunedin
Destination Expert
for Mana Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
2,034 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mana Island- Boat times

It is not compulsory to pre-book your transfer to Mana via South Seas Cruises - a booking can be done at the check-in counter, Port Denarau. BUT you must have your accommodation vouchers or some sort of evidence that you are staying at Mana. You will have to buy a return transfer ticket/s. Leave plenty of time to do this, as the queues can be long at times. You'll enjoy Mana.

Level Contributor
281 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mana Island- Boat times

Has anyone managed this on a 7:30 flight?

Tea Gardens...
Destination Expert
for Mana Island
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mana Island- Boat times

A 7.30 flight from where?