We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mana advice wanted for first timers...

Which Mana Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North Island, New...
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mana advice wanted for first timers...

Hi all, we are looking at heading to Fiji for 2 weeks at the beginning of June 2014. We are going from NZ as 2 family's of 2A +2C. We would like some advice on the following if possible...

-we would fly in with about 2 hours until last ferry, is this long enough to get there?

-we are looking at south beach accommodation, hopefully both families side by side, is this the best place to be?

-meal plans, we thought about just breakfast and dinner, is it worth it??

-is it worth taking our own snorkeling gear?

-what are the kids pools like, our kids are aged 9-14 so want a reasonable size pool for them?

We appreciate any advice on anything Mana do thanks heaps in advance.

Cheers Barry!

Echuca, Australia
Level Contributor
743 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mana advice wanted for first timers...

Hi Barry below is the link to my review, loved Mana!

Personally I dont think you will have enough time to get the last ferry. I would book a night on mainland & get going on the first ferry of the morning. Others may have some ideas though because I'm someone who doesn't like the stress of tight time frames.

We took our own snorkelling gear so we could snorkel when we want, make sure you snorkel North Beach. Any other questions I may be able to help.

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowUserReviews-g308257-d…

Tea Gardens...
Destination Expert
for Mana Island
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mana advice wanted for first timers...

Two hours before the last boat would make it a bit tight especially if you delayed through customs and immigration. You would need to be at the marina half an hour before departure and it is about 25 minutes from the airport to the marina. The accommodation on the south beach is fine go to www.manafiji.com for details.From 1 April, 2014 it is compulsory to pre-purchase a meal plan for children aged 6 to 12 at a cost of $FJD48. I would not purchase a meal plan for adults, you gain nothing by doing so other than the convenience of having pre-paid. Pay as you go and if you want to utilise the backpackers restaurants. Take your own ;snorkelling gear, it saves having to return the resort's gear at 4.30pm each day. The kids pool is adequate for your children but the south beach is calm, has a roped-off area and a pontoon. Ideals for the kids.

Edited: 02 January 2014, 22:53
The Entrance...
Level Contributor
492 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mana advice wanted for first timers...

Hey Manaregular, I have booked for mid April and have not been advised of the compulsory kids meal plan. Are you able to give me any other info? My kids are quite fussy and I was hoping to be able to order from either kids menus or adults menus to provide them with options, is this possible with a meal plan? Thanks Kristie

Tea Gardens...
Destination Expert
for Mana Island
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mana advice wanted for first timers...

The compulsory childrens' meal plan entitles your children to eat off the Kids' Buffet only. Should you want them to dine off the adults menu at the buffet restaurant or want credit at the south beach restaurant you must purchase a meal plan for them at $FJD63.30 full board, $FJD 56.60 half board and $FJD19 for breakfast.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
366 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mana advice wanted for first timers...

We stayed in the Oceanview Suite on South Beach which is huge and a fabulous layout. Highly recommend it. It is a quick walk to anywhere in the resort. South Beach is great first thing in the morning before the water sports start. So peaceful and great for swimming. North Beach has an awesome reef drop off 50m offshore that will blow you away with the amount of inquisitive fish that swim around you!! It's a must do! We took our own snorkeling equipment so your not clock watching. We could snorkel at the crack of dawn before anything opened.

We took the breakfast and dinner package. Sometimes we just paid to have lunch in the resort and sometimes we went up to the backpackers. There are two backpackers restaurants out of the resort. You can also swap your buffet dinner coupon for a credit at South Beach restaurant. You will possibly pay a little extra on top of the credit but it's a nice change.

We just booked our trip back for June/Jul. can't wait

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
366 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mana advice wanted for first timers...

We stayed in the Oceanview Suite on South Beach which is huge and a fabulous layout. Highly recommend it. It is a quick walk to anywhere in the resort. South Beach is great first thing in the morning before the water sports start. So peaceful and great for swimming. North Beach has an awesome reef drop off 50m offshore that will blow you away with the amount of inquisitive fish that swim around you!! It's a must do! We took our own snorkeling equipment so your not clock watching. We could snorkel at the crack of dawn before anything opened.

We took the breakfast and dinner package. Sometimes we just paid to have lunch in the resort and sometimes we went up to the backpackers. There are two backpackers restaurants out of the resort. You can also swap your buffet dinner coupon for a credit at South Beach restaurant. You will possibly pay a little extra on top of the credit but it's a nice change.

Things we enjoyed on Mana: snorkeling North Beach drop off (worth buying an underwater camera/video for), walking to the lookout for sunset, walking to the wedding chapel, boat/snorkel trip to the sand island (check the backpackers prices against resort prices).

We just booked our trip back for June/Jul. can't wait

melbourne
Level Contributor
50 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mana advice wanted for first timers...

you should consider North beach - the ocean view deluxe bungalows are big and cheaper than the ones on South beach (I prefer the ones in the 400s as they are standalone and closer to the reception/restaurant). Or you could stay in the 500s if you wanted a duplex next to your friends. North beach is calmer more often from my experience.

Edited: 15 January 2014, 02:27
8. Re: Mana advice wanted for first timers...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Mana Island