We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Navini bures

Which Matamanoa Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
71 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Navini bures

Ok, for those who have been helping a bunch, thanks! So I think I'm not going to choose between Matamanoa and Navini... I think we're going to BOTH! A week at each sounds fantastic.

Now a question for Navini bures. I see that currently the south side of the island has the better beach. But south side only has the one-room bure and the villa? The honeymoon bure and the two-room bures are on the north side. Is the beach really noticeably worse on the north side? We would prefer to stay at either the honeymoon bure or two-room bure, but if the beach is noticeably better on south side, we would rather stay south. Any info on recent beach conditions? (they say the sand shifts from time to time, pending weather...)

Eddie

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Navini bures

Hi Eddie,

For a start, I'm sure that regardless of what Bure you stayed in at Navini, you would have an awesome time. It is very quick and easy to cut across the Island and swim off both sides, as we did plenty of times during our stay.

In saying that, it is human nature to still have preferences, and mine would slightly be for the South Side.

At present, the South side is certainly prettier - more sand and less rocks. However, I understand that all it would take is a big storm and this could all change, so I would never bank on this fact for booking the South Side.

At present their is a sand bar leading off the south side which is the best place for low-tide swimming. It is quite shallow at low tide, but nice none the less. It is also the place where the watersports hut is located. The North side has better snorkeling and very little boat traffic. But we found it quite scary at low tide due to the very small amount of space between the top of the coral and the waterline. We also found the water to be a bit choppier on the North Side. Again, all of this this may also change with the weather? Hooked on Fiji will be able to give you more information as she's seen Navini over many years.

As for the bures, we had the most expensive bure (Villa 5) on our stay over Xmas and for our next stay later in the year we have booked Bure 6, one of the cheapest Bures.

I loved the Villa, particularly the extra large main bedroom and bathroom, and the courtyard and outdoor shower was a definite bonus. At the time we were splitting the cost of it between 3 adults, so it was affordable. However, as much as I loved it, I had no interest in paying that much for just my husband and I when we go again. In fact, it didn't even cross my mind to consider paying for anything other than one of the cheapest Bures. With just two people, I'm really not sure that you need the extra space of a lounge room. It's not like you'll be sitting around inside all day watching TV or anything. incidentally, I picked Bure 6 because it is quite private down the end of the Island and it is attached to the dayroom which is used less than a Bure.

With regards to the spa bath, I won't really miss having that again on my next stay. Perhaps during the winter, it would be nice to have one. But during the heat of summer we only ever filled it with cold water and jumped in it a few times during low tide. I can't of imagined anything worse than a hot spa during the heat of the Fiji summer.

Lastly, to the best of my knowledge, some (or all) of the Bure's have been freshened up with a lick of white paint. Some of the pictures on trip advisor (with brown walls) look quite drab in comparison to the couple of Bures I saw the inside of while I was there. It might be worth seeing if they have all been freshened up or just some of them.

Let us know what you pick.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,020 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Navini bures

Hi Eddie - we stayed in a 2 room bure on the north side in November. The beach was too rocky so for swimming we just walked across the middle of the island to the other side. The activities bure is on that side anyway so if you want a kayak, sailing boat etc - you have to go there anyway and that's mostly where people hang out.

We still had a lovely sandy spot with our own recliners and beach umbrella down on the waterfront. I liked the south side for the swimming but to be honest, I preferred the north side for privacy and the breezes that came through in the afternoon. I don't know that the "honeymoon" bure is worth the extra money really. For privacy - the 2 room bures are top notch. Ask for the one nearest the honeymoon bure. It will be either 3 or 5. (Is that the one you stayed in Oskar? We were in 4 which was the middle one. They were painting the one on the right which was nearest the staff quarters. The one on the left seemed to have much more shade in the afternoons.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,663 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Navini bures

The sand shifts all the time, yes the south side was the best this Christmas past but the one before the sand was good right around the island. We have experienced . The north being the better but as already mentioned it is only a very short walk across the island. If you want a good south side one bedroom bure then go for bure 6 it is spacious and has balcony around 3 sides and is very quiet instead of another guest room adjoining it has the day room behind it, which is not used often, so it feels like it is free standing. It is very quiet and private with only one neighbour ,the villa and is not overlooked. It is the last in the row on the western end of the south side. We always request this if available. You can access the deep water at low tide via the boat channels on both sides of the island. A lot quieter than Matamanao but we have had many enjoyable holidays at Matamanoa too. A week at each sounds wonderful.

Pictures you may be looking at could be quite old the bures are now very light and bright with larger windows.

Barb

Edited: 27 January 2012, 00:31
Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,335 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Navini bures

Lucky you Eddie. Two weeks in Fiji. The resorts you have chosen will give you two different experiences.

As this is your honeymoon, consider #7, #8, #9, and #10 on the south side are duplexes. Would opt for #5, the honeymoon villa should you decide to stay on that side of the island.

We stayed on the north side in #2 which is a stand alone two room bure in February 2011. The beach is long and wide. When walking around the island, parts of the beach were rocky. Wished we would have taken our reef shoes. That said, there was a large part of the beach in front of our bure which I was able to swim from every day.

Let me know, if you would like to see pictures of our vacation to Navini. They include a map of the island which shows bure locations,and will give you a good idea of the resort grounds, beach, tours, etc. Will be my pleasure to share them with you.

Edited: 27 January 2012, 00:52
Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Navini bures

Hi Tez823,

I stayed in Bure 5 which was on he South side of the Island.

The numbering was a bit funny and we were located between Bure's 6 and 7.

Not sure, but I think the one you are refering to is Bure 2?

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Navini bures

Hi E&CinReno,

I hope you don't mind, but I still had the link to your Navini photos in my email, so I went back and had a look at them. I was curious how much the weather has changed the North Beach over the last year. How very interesting! The North beach looked gorgeous during your stay, with quite a bit more sand than it has now. The power of the weather is certainly impressive.

California
Level Contributor
71 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Navini bures

As always, thank you guys for the wealth of information! Sounds like the South side is indeed the better side. We're not picky travelers at all, and by no means need the best accommodations... it's more important for us to enjoy the beautiful scenery; I mean, afterall, the scenery IS the reason we're visiting Fiji :) Sounds like South side it is :)

Barb, thanks for the tip on bure 6. We'll likely try to get that one (Villa is little pricey and big for just the two of us...)

E&CinReno, if you have the pics I would love to see them!

Thanks gang.

Eddie

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,335 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Navini bures

Eddie,

Send me your e-mail address in a private message, and I will send you an invitation to view our pictures.

California
Level Contributor
71 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Navini bures

Cathy,

Thank you very much for the pictures, they were just fantastic. They were very well taken and give a really good story. I felt like I was there! The map is also very helpful. Took me a while to figure out that on the map, North is pointing DOWN... silly map maker... :)

Booked for 6 nights at Bure 6 :) (for the second part of our two week stay - thanks for the advice OskarNZ) !

Also, I think we might scratch the Matamanoa idea because we also want to see the Yasawas, and we also want to stay at a place that has al ittle different feel than Navini... Blue Lagoon Beach Resort looks interesting so far. Off to the Yasawa forum :)

Thanks guys!

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,335 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Navini bures

You're welcome, Eddie. Glad you enjoyed the pictures.

Small world.......I grew up in Bellingham.

Get answers to your questions about Matamanoa Island