We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Navini or Viwa?

London
Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Navini or Viwa?

Hi guys, we are going for a 6 day honeymoon in Fiji and we are tossing up between Viwa and Navini and would appreciate any thoughts of all your Fiji travellers.

Navini seems to be the kind of place we would visit normally. Its low key, friendly, and with lots of outdoor activities. The key attraction though is that we spend less time and money on transfer.

Viwa for us seems more like a honey moon destination and it has had really top reviews from people who have visited. The only downside is that we would have to get a helicopter transfer which fly on certain days, so timing wise, it would involve us staying in Nadi for two nights but that also means we can explore the town.

Any thoughts?

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,150 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Navini or Viwa?

Both are really great honeymoon destinations. You can get to Viwa on the Yasawa Flyer then transfer to the Viwa Speed boat at the Octopus resort drop off point. We had a wonderful holiday at Viwa, the staff are fantastic, the bures large and comfortable, great food and the lagoon and beach breathtaking. What it doesn't have is the wonderful snorkeling that Navini has. They are both small resorts, Navini on a tiny island of its own with beautiful beaches too. You can do as little or as much as you wish. The bures at Navini are smaller and more old worldy in a traditional Fijian sense but very comfortable with the honeymoon bures being large with spa tubs and private courtyards. Do as little or as much as you wish. Again great staff and meals. It is my favourite resort in Fiji, with Viwa not far behind. Viwa has nightlife but Navini is very quiet except when they have a lovo & meke.

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,560 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Navini or Viwa?

We vacationed at Viwa this past New Years. It was the best New Year's we had in years. If you would like to see pictures of our vacation, send me your e-mail address in a private message. I will send you and invitation to view the pictures we posted on Picasa.

Fiji
Level Contributor
469 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Navini or Viwa?

Navini would be easier to get to because they have 24hour transfers. Viwa has newer accommodation and is more remote, but also means that you waste two days on the mainland for transfers!! Navini has more of a "communal" atmosphere, i.e. you take your meals at a big table with the other guests plus they do take families. I wouldn't think there would be that much to do at Navini given the size of the property (you can walk around the whole island in about 10 mins!!). Given that you are only coming to Fiji for 6 days, I would stick to an island in the Mamanucas. You don't want to waste too much time on the mainland (the town will take you 30 minutes to "explore" : ). Two other resorts you may want to consider would be Matamanoa Island and Lomani which are also in the Mamanucas. Matamanoa is a bigger island compared to Navini and is adults only, and the accommodation is newly refurbished. Lomani is about the same size as Viwa but there are more activities because there are two other resorts nearby. You can access any Mamanuca Island 24/7 by plane, seaplane, helicopter or SeaFiji speedboat.

London
Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Navini or Viwa?

Thanks everyone for contributing. We ended up choosing Navini and we had an amazing time!

Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
569 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Navini or Viwa?

I am glad you had an "amazing time" on Navini since we are interested in going there next year. What activities did you do besides lying on the beach and snorkeling off the beach? Did you go off island for any of the other activities and were they fun? My son-in-law is very active and easily bored, so without a TV or internet to amuse him, he has to have "things to do and places to go". Could you post a Just Back Report for us? Thanks!

Sally in Seattle

6. Re: Navini or Viwa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Navini Island