We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best alternative to Castaway Island ??

Which Castaway Island (Qalito) hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Best alternative to Castaway Island ??

Unfortunately the dates we want at Castaway are not available! Any suggestions to alternative? Looking at end of 2010. Thanks in advance.

Australia
Level Contributor
817 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best alternative to Castaway Island ??

How about looking at Malolo or Mana?Mana is a lot bigger than Malolo but both in the Mamanuca group and caters well for kids(just as Castawy does)

Tracy

Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best alternative to Castaway Island ??

Malolo

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best alternative to Castaway Island ??

If you were looking at Castaway, I would have a look at Malolo.

Beerwalk :)

New Zealand
Level Contributor
77 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best alternative to Castaway Island ??

I agree with the above, and personally I think its a better option, we stopped at castaway and aside from the beach we thought Malolo outstripped Castaway just for the fact, more intimate but people around, the 2million dollar revamp so the bures leave Caway for dead in this respect, and the quality of the food at Malolo was very good for a resort. I do not think you would go too far wrong. The snorkelling is average but you can go out on snorkelling trips which I highly recommend.

Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best alternative to Castaway Island ??

I also wanted to go to Castaway but it was booked out for the dates I was travelling.

I have just come back from Mana and I loved the island. The snorkelling off the beach is sensational. From what I could see of Castaway, when we stopped to load/off load passenegers from the boat, it's beach and reef did not come near what Mana Island had to offer. Mana has plenty of beaches and room to move and find your own space, Castaway did not - but it does have a nice pool. Mana also has two pools that are more than satisfactory.

But Mana is not as upmarket as Castaway, so if perfect rooms and facilitoes are your main criteria, Mana is not the place for you. That is not to say that Mana was not well looked after and clean, it was, just not 5 star luxury. Personally, I preferred the more casual/four star feeling of Mana - very relaxed - and was glad I could not get into Castaway.

We spent two nights on the main island at the Sofitel. It was like Lego Land. Everything perfect and fake and crowded. It was not my thing. But if that sort of 5 star luxury is what you want, Mana is not your place.

I loved Mana, but it would appeal to a certain type.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best alternative to Castaway Island ??

Castaway Resort is not 5 stars but the location is, seeing compared to actually swimming on the reef are two different things, we personally found the snorkelling excellent at Castaway. As Castaway is a smaller resort then Mana you don't need room to move to find your own space as there's not as many people and if loumax wants a resort similar to Castaway then size wise and being more personal Malolo would be the closest.

Malolo has just uplaoded new photo's onto their facebook page, loumax you might get a good idea of the resort.

Rene

Edited: 20 April 2010, 08:01
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
549 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best alternative to Castaway Island ??

Malolo - might be hard to get in there too - recent reviews have been excellent; getting amazing feedback since the reno.

Vomo if its within your budget - excellent recent review, good hints re trying for a stand alone bungalow vs a duplex.

Navini - small and intimate and fab snorkelling

Auclkland
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Best alternative to Castaway Island ??

I stayed at Castaway a decade ago as a 13yr old and really enjoyed it. However after staying at Mana i would recommend it over Castaway simply because of the amazing snorkeling the island has to offer. If snorkeling is a big reason for your choice in resort then look into Mana. I also really loved having such a large island to explore. We are heading back in June and I can't wait! If you are after more luxurious rooms and surroundings then Mana may not suit. But if you are happy to spend your days exploring new surroundings and reefs then you will have a great holiday

:)

9. Re: Best alternative to Castaway Island ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2010, 06:24